Do people still read magazines??

JTTHECLOCKMAN

the internet has changed so much.  Our local paper would have folded but for it's on-line subscriptions for people who read it on-line.  Frankly, I stopped reading most out door magazines 40 years ago, because they were all ads and little content.      Classified ad revenue for many publications has been reduced to almost zero by Craigs list and ebay. .   I still enjoy some magazines, but Not every issue is worth the money for a subscription, so I buy them on news stands when they are of interest.    Nothing will ever replace the peace of curling up in an overstuffed chair with a real book.   At one time, I subscribed to about a dozen magazines.  Now just one and that is from a small organization that does not offer it's magazine on line.       

2 hours ago, Rolf said:

The current decor in our house will not allow for anything with that early american styling.  I will say that it is a very nice piece.  I thought the playboy mags went under the bed? Not that I have ever read one.

Does that mean you just looked at the pictures?

I guess I'm still "old school" when it comes to reading. I love to read. I have a Kindle and use it when it bed but for my upright reading pleasure, I still prefer a book. Paper backs mostly. As for magazines, I still subscribe to a couple. And I read my newspaper every morning. My eyes won't take too much reading on the computer but like someone else said, Youtube is my "go-to" for how to do it stuff. My magazine subs are now limited to both publications of Woodcarving Illustrated and Scrollsawing and Woodshop from Fox Publishing. Even those are stacking up on me though. I can't seem to stop the one from the NRA. I have tried and tried but they just keep on coming. Oh well...................

Ray

Yes, we still read magazines. But that style magazine holder went out in the early eighties when we were tearing up our shag carpet, taking the decoupage off the walls, and replacing those coffee tables made to look like cobblers benches with something a bit more up-to-date. :lol:

A few still exist in faraway places like summer cottages, or next to the plastic-covered couch in my 90-year old aunt's house, but those people generally aren't looking to upgrade their magazine rack so the market is rather limited.

The scrollwork is very nice, they look solidly made and the finish really shines, but it just isn't one of the "hot" styles this decade. But who knows, style comes and goes and next year it might be the next big thing again.

Could be re-purposed as a remote holder or a mail caddy.   Although I suppose TV remotes are quickly becoming a relic of the past as many people now stream TV on their IPads.  Mail will probably be going away soon too, as people do all of their correspondence, bill paying, etc, on-line.  Oh well.  Put it in the attic for 30-40 years and then it will be an antique.

2 hours ago, Bill WIlson said:

Could be re-purposed as a remote holder or a mail caddy.   Although I suppose TV remotes are quickly becoming a relic of the past as many people now stream TV on their IPads.  Mail will probably be going away soon too, as people do all of their correspondence, bill paying, etc, on-line.  Oh well.  Put it in the attic for 30-40 years and then it will be an antique.

I can't imagine watching tv on an ipad. We have a 55" and at times I wish it was bigger. My niece and her husband have a 70". I love that one but we don't have a wall big enough.

Ray

I made a magazine holder similar to the one in the photo. I put it in the fair when i made it and got my first blue ribbon. My wife hauled to Arizona when we moved but now that I think about it, I  do not believe that I have seen it in our new home. what the heck? must be in one of the garages. Newspapers. hand written letters and magazines are going out, for the most part. The mail  will continue because of all the on line buying trends of today and how else could I get the on line buying catalogs and people asking for my donations almost every day?

Dick

heppnerguy

On 10/5/2017 at 11:23 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

Boy I remember back in the early 90's I use to make many of these and sell them very well. Then when the 2005 and later rolled around I think people did not even know what they were. How many of you remember what these are???

656Heart_Magazine_Rack.jpg

656Deer_Magazine_Rack.jpg

i've seen a few in my time.This is the best looking one.Good job!

This is going off topic a bit but I still prefer reading a book. I have used a kindle on occasion when the library only has the electronic version. The only magazines I get are SSWWC and wood carving Illustrated.

Our 250 pound 36" Sony Wega finally died last year and we replaced it with a 55 UHD Samsung with all new surround sound electronics and a blue ray player. We could have gone with a 65 inch but the 55 is perfect. we have a 16 x 20 great room with 24 feet of window and have NO glare on this TV. It was impossible to watch the old one during the day because of glare. The old system had so many cables and wires now it is basically one cable to the tv and a couple from the amp to the components.