The longest cut

malc

As we are just past the longest day here in U.K. I was wondering what is the longest time anyone has taken to complete a scrolling project. I took over a month to complete a wooden works clock. But most of that time was getting it to run properly! As I am new to scrolling i am still quite slow. I recently scrolled a rather complicated plaque for my wife which took several days, manly due to the fact i had to hide it at the sound of her approach!!

Malc

That's funny(hideing)! I spent months doing a little here a little there on travis's cadillac.It was a project i really wanted to do for along time.My saw was wore out and had to go super slow from the wobble side to side.It was a lengthy project and i did'nt want to start over from an accident.There werde a couple places i was,nt sure about if i should cut ,but thought it out and did ok.

My projects tend to take some time. The time on the Heron was around 50 hours for cutting and The Gatekeeper was around 45. Portraits go a bit faster. Max time on a portrait (4 faces) was about 8 hours.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12263/normal_Bob_Lung_Heron_Pattern.jpg

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery/albums/userpics/12263/normal_The_Gatekeeper_-_Zaffino.JPG

Is'nt that funny ,i was thinking about those two pictures awhile back and though they were way out of my limits of time to spend on a project.Now i have a very good refrence point to refer to.I,m going too show my friend your cuttings as he allways asks me how long did that one take.When i show him yours and tell him a week ,i bet his mouth drops open .Thats incredible you have the patience to do that kind of work!great job ! :)I've done a couple that took none stop 8 hrs and one 12 hours resently.The cars take time.Now a out line cut with a chisel took 6 hours on the face of jesus.

My Last Supper portrait takes around twelve straight hours at the saw. Thats only stopping to make a cup of coffe or going to the restroom and getting right back to the saw. I done a showpiece rocker called the Armored Horse that took an estimated time of around 200 hours. My chandelier took about 125 hours, and that's only because I was able to stack cut most of it. Stack cutting really has cut down on my time on some projects. Before I got good at that, you wouldn't believe some of the time I've taken on some things.

I'm also impatient, and I love the bigger projects. That's why though that some of the bigger one's translate to me spending very long hours in the shop at one time. One of my favorite projects is my rocking motorcycle. With my various health problems, I don't dare start one unless I'm felling extra good. It takes well into forty hours to complete and I usually do it in around three days.

Thought I would throw my two cents into the Longest Cut arena.

The Marine Coprs Emblem known as the Eagle, Globe & Anchor has over 450 cuts and took approx. 36 hours to complete.

The large Cheetah has over 1200 cuts and took just over 50 hours to complete.

In the end, the USMC cutting was harder to cut than the Cheetah due to how little material was left over after the project was completed.

I custom make my frames and also do my own mats for each project.

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery ... 2048&pos=3

http://www.scrollsawvillage.com/gallery ... 152&pos=10

Thanks,

Ron