Here's an interesting thought

OCtoolguy

I have two air cleaners in my home and yesterday while cleaning out the filters I got to thinking that they just might make decent air cleaner in my shop. Not one of these particularly but another similar one that uses cheap filter cartridges. I'm going to measure them for the heck of it and see if furnace filters might fit. The overhead filters that are made for shops are expensive and the ones like I have indoors are far cheaper. What do you all think? I just want something that can be used in my very small shop and not take up a lot of space.

Ray

Ray, I made a box to fit a discarded furnace blower (Free) and installed double 16"x 20" furnace filters  ahead of the blower intake and it lives under my workbench, I have found it to be very effective at removing dust in the air in the shop, I have found that the first filter catches the majority of the ambient dust so I just throw the first one out and move a new one in back of the stack. Works well for my needs

6 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I have two air cleaners in my home and yesterday while cleaning out the filters I got to thinking that they just might make decent air cleaner in my shop. Not one of these particularly but another similar one that uses cheap filter cartridges. I'm going to measure them for the heck of it and see if furnace filters might fit. The overhead filters that are made for shops are expensive and the ones like I have indoors are far cheaper. What do you all think? I just want something that can be used in my very small shop and not take up a lot of space.

Ray

i really should set something up better than what i have but my nose is clean inside so i guess what im doing is good enough?I don't smell saw dust and if i do i know i forgot to turn the exhaust fan on.

Edited by amazingkevin

My shop is heated and cooled with a window mount style heat pump mounted high and through the North wall of my shop. I discovered that 12 X 20 X 1 furnace filters will fit behind the plastic front grille and completely cover the evaporator coil, so now I buy the best quality pleated furnace filters for it and my heat pump now performs well as my shop air filter too. I change this filter about once per month and just looking at it after a month shows that it's doing a very good job. It's trapping some really fine stuff that just changes the color of the filter material. 

My re-purposed whole house central vacuum with a  Dust Deputy ahead of it is vented outside, so anything that gets past the Dust Deputy and the fabric filter inside the central vacuum gets blown outside the shop so I never have to breathe that dust either.  This vacuum system is mounted in the attic of my shop because there is no room for it in my crowded shop. It has the central vacuum pipe and inlets in the shop walls so it's all completely out of the shop space. I really have no room for a larger dust collector. I use the central vacuum for every tool except for the Unisaw, Jointer, and planer. My DeWalt 735 planer is never used inside the shop and I have the hose and fabric barrel cover for it that I attach to a plastic 55 gallon barrel (to keep the chips out of the neighbors pool). It works great, if the fabric cover stays on the barrel. The jointer has a chute under it that drops the chips into a small waste container, and the Unisaw collects most of it's sawdust in it's lower cabinet and I shovel it out every couple of months. I added an inlet port to the outside of my shop next to the passage door, so I can vacuum my cars and trucks with it too.  The original long hose gets hung from large hooks strategically placed in the shop ceiling when routed from distant tools to one of the shop inlet connections, so it's usually completely out of the way, and only on the floor when I'm vacuuming the shop floor. I  think this arrangement is about the best that I can do in my very small 14 X 26' shop. I'm certainly not suffering from "sawdust nose" any more. 

Charley