Finally finished my plaque in Jatoba wood

Blaughn

Two and a half ago my best friend, Mike, died unexpectedly in his sleep at age 73.  This was Mike's "life verse" and he genuinely lived it.  I decided I would design and make a plaque for his widow.

To keep it from being grotesquely large the letters had to be quite small.  The plaque measures 14" x 8".  (The second photo shows a dime in the picture for size perspective.)  I made it 1/2 way through the first attempt in cherry before losing a "drop out" and creating some firewood.  This second attempt was in Jatoba wood (AKA Brazilian cherry) which has interlocking grain and is less inclined to fail at one of the bridges.  This was cut with Flying Dutchman #1 Ultra Reverse blades and I went through 12 of them for this piece.  (Jatoba dulls blades incredibly fast.)  I found the small letters to be extremely challenging.

It is finished with Watco oil and wipe-on Poly.

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

Edited by Blaughn

5 hours ago, blights69 said:

Superb lettering at that size the concentration must of been tense I bet the blade snap made you jump every time as you was concentrating so much :) 

I found I could only work for about 90 minutes before I needed a break.  The last few letters were definitely "high intensity" concentration.  As a relatively new scrollsawer I have to work very slowly.  This piece took me 14 hours of cutting.  I am a believer in the old adage  "First good, Then fast." 

On 10/23/2017 at 2:44 PM, Blaughn said:

Two and a half ago my best friend, Mike, died unexpectedly in his sleep at age 73.  This was Mike's "life verse" and he genuinely lived it.  I decided I would design and make a plaque for his widow.

To keep it from being grotesquely large the letters had to be quite small.  The plaque measures 14" x 8".  (The second photo shows a dime in the picture for size perspective.)  I made it 1/2 way through the first attempt in cherry before losing a "drop out" and creating some firewood.  This second attempt was in Jatoba wood (AKA Brazilian cherry) which has interlocking grain and is less inclined to fail at one of the bridges.  This was cut with Flying Dutchman #1 Ultra Reverse blades and I went through 12 of them for this piece.  (Jatoba dulls blades incredibly fast.)  I found the small letters to be extremely challenging.

It is finished with Watco oil and wipe-on Poly.

IMG_0793.JPG

IMG_0794.JPG

You love and patience has shown thru on this work of art.Something that stands out for me is someones lettering skills .You take the cake hands down!