Pleasures and Pitfalls

Kragax

I dug around and found some 2/0 blades. I like the smooth edges they leave but, the little buggers are so hard to see with my old eyes that I couldn't cope even with the bifocals.

So off I went in search of a magnifier, sheesh, the big craft store only have the hand held and the ones attached to the floorstand Ott Lights. Now I have an Ott light for my carving and it is great but you can't buy the magnifier separate. I was about to call it quits when I remembered Harbor Freight. Got a headband magnifier with multiple levels of mag for 5.00. Guess I'm back in business. At least for now LOL

3 hours ago, Kragax said:

I dug around and found some 2/0 blades. I like the smooth edges they leave but, the little buggers are so hard to see with my old eyes that I couldn't cope even with the bifocals.

So off I went in search of a magnifier, sheesh, the big craft store only have the hand held and the ones attached to the floorstand Ott Lights. Now I have an Ott light for my carving and it is great but you can't buy the magnifier separate. I was about to call it quits when I remembered Harbor Freight. Got a headband magnifier with multiple levels of mag for 5.00. Guess I'm back in business. At least for now LOL

Go to Harbor Freight if there is one near you. They have a very nice lighted magnifier with articulating arm for $40 or less. I love mine. I hope this helps. Also, I was having the same trouble as you with these tiny blades and instead of trying to hold them in my fingers and guide the blade into the holder, I use a pencil magnet to hold the blade in it's correct position and insert it into the holder. It works really well.

Ray

Edited by octoolguy

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

Go to Harbor Freight if there is one near you. They have a very nice lighted magnifier with articulating arm for $40 or less. I love mine. I hope this helps. Also, I was having the same trouble as you with these tiny blades and instead of trying to hold them in my fingers and guide the blade into the holder, I use a pencil magnet to hold the blade in it's correct position and insert it into the holder. It works really well.

Ray

What Ray said !....Best 39.00 i ever spent !

The Harbor Freight one, in my opinion is one of their good deals.  I have one.  That's why I feel it is good!  That is not really the reason, I have problems with florescent lights, so I purchase an expensive one with LED lights for my scrolling.  However, I still think the HF one is probably the best deal for the money.  I still use mine, I just use it where I don't have to stare through it for long periods of time.

Edited by Scrappile

I just got my latest sale catalog today and they are on sale for $39.99. If you don't have a store near you they will ship one from their warehouse.

Ray

6 hours ago, Scrappile said:

The Harbor Freight one, in my opinion is one of their good deals.  I have one.  That's why I feel it is good!  That is not really the reason, I have problems with florescent lights, so I purchase an expensive one with LED lights for my scrolling.  However, I still think the HF one is probably the best deal for the money.  I still use mine, I just use it where I don't have to stare through it for long periods of time.

There is an LED replacement bulb that fits this light.

On 10/26/2017 at 12:28 PM, Kragax said:

the mind works in mysterious way's just when you need it!Glad you found what you need!