The Highs and Lows of Scrolling

JTTHECLOCKMAN

7 hours ago, hotshot said:

Highs:  Meeting Hawkeye at his shop, meeting a small group of local Scroll Saw artist at Sloans, meeting fellow scrollers at the Atlanta Woodworking show, then meeting Denny and Fibber at Art Crafters

High:  Giving a Navy Emblem to a retired Navy security guard where I work.  I got an emotional response I did not expect.

Highs:  Those first few moments of cutting with a fresh blade.

Highs:  Finishing my first puzzle box and scroll saw dovetail box.

Highs:  The highest tool related high was receiving the EX because it was my first premium saw, and it was an awesome improvement to what I had been using.  All the rest of the decent saws I've gotten since have been high spots.

Highs:  Getting through the "Two Horses" coin the first time.  This one gave me the confidence to continue.  Then getting the inlay coins to work as I felt that was something completely new to that sector.  I think anytime I try something that I'm uncertain that I will be able to do, there is a high with success, and a bit of a low if the idea doesn't pan out.

Lows:  Making something out of Spalted Maple, and have it crumble at the end.

Lows:  Coin prep.

Love the HIgh about the Vet,I have met many Vets doing this.And I am always Honored to shake there hand and talk to them.If they want to buy something I just let the have it.Its normally related to thier branch of service.

Echoing what several others have said, the biggest high for me is the expression on the faces of those who receive something I've made.  Most everything I make ends up as a gift or donation.  The appreciation and gratitude that people show is really heartwarming and makes it worthwhile.

The biggest low is deadlines.  I really dislike having to work under the pressure of a deadline.  Sometimes it gets me motivated and when I get done, the relief is palpable, but I don't see myself ever doing commissions or craft shows. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/4/2017 at 12:08 PM, JTTHECLOCKMAN said:

I was watching a show that I love to watch and is called Handcrafted in America. On there was a gentleman that makes watches by hand. It showed a quick glimpse into what he goes through to make all the components and painstaking labor to put it together and work flawlessly. The (pun) time and effort is tedious to say the least. It got me thinking of what we do here and that is scrolling. Even if you are relatively new at it or an old timer such as myself there always are those highs and lows that come with the artform. The longer you do it the more of these you get to be part of. I thought it would be fun to list some of these highs and lows and I am sure we all will say oh yea I agree with that. What we do is tedious also and time consuming and you grow into the love of it or else we move on. It is a hobby not for all. Patience plays a huge role and at some times it can test our inner selfs. 

Lets say a high is just like having *******  a candy bar (what did you think I was going to say) and a low is like denting your car. :)

Here are some examples to get things rolling and hope others will jump in.

Highs

Sawing along and you decide you need to change the blade. The first cut with the new blade is like heaven.

Picked out a pattern that had so many cuts you thought you would never finish but you make that final cut and stand back and you are proud.

Had someone compliment your work and go on and on about how well it looks and maybe even buys a piece.

You find that perfect piece of wood to work with in both looks and in cutting ability. Not all woods cut well.

Lows

Put hours in on a piece cutting many frets and when done accidently drop it and it breaks into a million pieces. Now that is the low of lows to me. (we all have been there)

Spend many hours making things and go to a show and nothing sells.

Cutting an intricate pattern and within the board are hard grain lines that constantly throw your blade off course. Had this with oak boards because of the heavy grains.

Cutting fine details and suddenly you sneeze and there goes a fine cut.

OK that should get things rolling. There are many many more and we all have lived them. Lets see what you come up with. Hopefully all our highs and lows even out and we continue promoting this great hobby. Happy Scrolling. 

I can relate to all the comments here ,too many of my own to remember and post