Printing a 2-page pattern so it aligns better.

Blaughn

I have always been a little frustrated when a 2-page pattern does not align well.  I discovered a trick that helps.  If I print the first page normally then flip the second page so it prints upside down the alignment is much closer.  I always print out of inkscape.  I use the command:  Object; Rotate 90 CCW or Rotate 90 CW.  (You need to select everything in the pattern and use the command Object; Group before you rotate)

This works for .PDF files as well as .SVG files (Inkscape files)

Bruce

When I worked for the newspaper (in ancient days), we had a light table we used to do alignments and we were holding register at anywhere from 85 dots per inch to 125+ dpi for color work.  If I have to align a pattern these days, I will tape one sheet to a window and then get the second sheet aligned and tape and THEN trim the excess overlap.  Makes it easy to see through the pattern.

another thought, I use EXCEL and copy paste my pattern into it then I can stretch across as many pages as needed and it will print it out good.  will have to trim borders but it will line up great.  Ive been taping them together before trimming then use a ruler on the top and cut both at once then retape if needed.

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/6/2017 at 10:21 AM, Blaughn said:

I have always been a little frustrated when a 2-page pattern does not align well.  I discovered a trick that helps.  If I print the first page normally then flip the second page so it prints upside down the alignment is much closer.  I always print out of inkscape.  I use the command:  Object; Rotate 90 CCW or Rotate 90 CW.  (You need to select everything in the pattern and use the command Object; Group before you rotate)

This works for .PDF files as well as .SVG files (Inkscape files)

Bruce

Now that's an interesting phenomena