Question For Hegner Owner

Dave Monk

Monk.You probably know this already.But I will just recap .If you have the same set up as in scrappiles set up.The bottom clamp is a pinch clamp and the top squeezes together The Top quick clamp uses the pinch bolt as in Excalibur type clamp.When mounting the blade in the bottom clamp you have to make sure it is set at the point of the clamp

46 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

Anyway you can point to the screws in one of these pictures,,, like edit the picture with an arrow.

heg bottom.jpg

heg top.jpg

Hegner_Multimax_22v_parts_diagram-3.pdf

Or part number(S) from the attached diagram?

I took the top and bottom blade holder assemblies off but the screw holes are not slotted. I was hoping I could move the top one back or the bottom one forward. On your saw is the blade perfectly perpendicular to the table?

47 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

I took the top and bottom blade holder assemblies off but the screw holes are not slotted. I was hoping I could move the top one back or the bottom one forward. On your saw is the blade perfectly perpendicular to the table?

Looks very very close.  If it isn't the slight off could be just where I slid the top of the blade into the clamp when I clamped it and or how centered and perpendicular I got the bottom when I clamped it in.  I'd be tempted to take a picture and send it to Advance Machinery if I were you.  Maybe there is something wrong and they need to make it right.   You know the top clamp should not be tight in the holder.  It should have a tiny bit of play.  When I first got my Heg, I tightened the big thumb nut down on the clamp and had all sorts of trouble, broke many blades, then I read the instructions, backed it off a little and have loved the saw ever since.

heg blade.jpg

I checked my 1996 Hegner.  With the arm up, the top of the blade is very slightly out than the bottom....maybe a sheet of paper or so.  With the arm down, it appears completely perpendicular.  This is normal for this type of arm design.  

How much is your blade off?

Is there a problem with the way your saw is cutting?

Have you called Advanced Machinery?

I think that before you start "adjusting" your Hegner, you might want to talk with Advanced Machinery.

Dave,

If you'll send Advanced  Machinery  an e-mail Mr.Wolfgang Derk will explain the blade being forward slightly  in the complete up stroke. I had the same question on mine and it's 18+ yrs old, I've miss placed the e-mail he sent me I would have forwarded  it to you. I don't  think there is any thing wrong with your saw, mine is cuts just fine, it is not over aggressive. Hope this helps some!!!!

rdv

1 hour ago, Rockytime said:

I often see photos with an arrow pointing to something specific.Can anyone tell me how that is done? Perhaps this should be a separate discussion. But here goes.

Les, it is call a photo editor,,,,,  I use photoscape. Free software.  I used it when I had Windows for years and I use it now that I have a Mac.  The Windows version is better.  There are many free photo editor that can be downloaded. 

5 hours ago, Scrappile said:

Looks very very close.  If it isn't the slight off could be just where I slid the top of the blade into the clamp when I clamped it and or how centered and perpendicular I got the bottom when I clamped it in.  I'd be tempted to take a picture and send it to Advance Machinery if I were you.  Maybe there is something wrong and they need to make it right.   You know the top clamp should not be tight in the holder.  It should have a tiny bit of play.  When I first got my Heg, I tightened the big thumb nut down on the clamp and had all sorts of trouble, broke many blades, then I read the instructions, backed it off a little and have loved the saw ever since.

heg blade.jpg

Blade Down.jpg

Blade Up (1).jpg

Blade Up (2).jpg

2 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

That does seem more to me than I would expect.  I'd contact Advance Machinery.   It is under warranty and if you do much yourself you may void the warranty.

Just sent them an email with the pictures. I will be anxious to hear what they have to say. I do really like the saw. The way the blade is sitting it cuts pretty aggressive. About the same as my Dewalt which I was not expecting. I think if the blade was more perpendicular to the table it would turn a bit sharper.

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Les, it is call a photo editor,,,,,  I use photoscape. Free software.  I used it when I had Windows for years and I use it now that I have a Mac.  The Windows version is better.  There are many free photo editor that can be downloaded. 

Thank you very much. I'll find it and try it. I have wanted to point out things on a photo but had no knowledge how to do it.

Dave I went down to the shop and checked the Hegner out.This is what I found. When I install a new blade I have the same problem .But by force of habit I push the blade towards the back of the saw and that kind of realigns the blade after mounting.I also do it with my Excalibur Remember these blades are not spring steel .If you make your first cut a push cut it should do the same thing. I may be wrong but try it before you check it with a square and see what happens.You only have to do it with a new blade.After that the blade should be set 

Edited by tonylumps

9 hours ago, tonylumps said:

Dave I went down to the shop and checked the Hegner out.This is what I found. When I install a new blade I have the same problem .But by force of habit I push the blade towards the back of the saw and that kind of realigns the blade after mounting.I also do it with my Excalibur Remember these blades are not spring steel .If you make your first cut a push cut it should do the same thing. I may be wrong but try it before you check it with a square and see what happens.You only have to do it with a new blade.After that the blade should be set 

Didn't seem to make a difference on mine.

46 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Dave, just as a troubleshooting step, can you put the Quickclamp to the side, then use two regular clamps, with the blade positioned identically in each, and see how that looks?

No difference at all. I don't understand why they don't slot the holes of the blade clamp holder.

6 minutes ago, Dave Monk said:

No difference at all. I don't understand why they don't slot the holes of the blade clamp holder.

But then you would have a Hawk :-).   To me, a key strength of the Hegner is that the critical elements are locked in to exacting standards/spacing, which usually makes the saw setup very simple and ridgid.  This alignment has to be something simple.  Going out to look at my Hegner now to brainstorm.

Edited by hotshot

On 12/11/2017 at 5:09 PM, Scrappile said:

Anyway you can point to the screws in one of these pictures,,, like edit the picture with an arrow.

heg bottom.jpg

heg top.jpg

Hegner_Multimax_22v_parts_diagram-3.pdf

Or part number(S) from the attached diagram?

Hey Paul look at the underside of that table it is covered in dust it is a Hegner it deserves to be wiped under as well you know :) On the original question my blade on my new Hegner sits exactly as your does Paul so not sure why yours is not Dave. I am interested to see why I also checked upper arm bolts to see if they was slotted to move it back slightly but no slots i cannot see on mine how I would solve that by moving anything as nothing that could solve it is moveable hope you get an answer soon Dave I have emailed Hegner direct with your picture and I used yours Paul (hope you don not mind me using the photos) to show them how mine sits if I get an answer I will update here for you good luck :thumbs: