How to make a lighted box???

Kris Martinson

OK fellow scrollers, I backed myself into a corner and I desperately need help to complete a project. I cut four plywood panel pictures that I want to use to make a lamp for my son. I was able to make the panels just fine, but I have no idea how to assemble them into a four-sided lamp. Each panel is 4" x 10" x 3/8". I want to have a lighted base and a top on it. Any good ideas of how to assemble it would be greatly appreciated.

Tiki 1.jpg

Tiki 2.jpg

Tiki 3.jpg

Tiki 4.jpg

Not knowing your woodworking abilities or the tools you have at your access it is very hard to suggest things. But a simple suggestion other than doing a google search, I suggest you treat it as a lamp shade. You need to make corners and I would suggest a solid dark colored wood such as walnut. Cut slots in it so that the panels slip in them. Or you could miter the ends 45 degrees and glue together that way. Then you need to use some metal so that it hangs over the bulb depending on the lamp. I warn and warn you with all good intentions fires from material such as wood is no joke. You may want to look into some sort of LED lighting system and make it into a box and install a string of low voltage low wattage lights. Good luck All I can and all I would say. Too hazardous for me. This is the reason I do not sell toys or anything electrical. 

you could glue a few cleats onto the corners of the panels so they all have an area large enough to glue together.

Another option for the top and bottom would be to route a groove that the four panels fit into and as long as the

grooves are sized correctly the base and top would keep the panels upright with no need to glue anything together.

This allows you to change the lighting or change the panels if you want.

Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

18 hours ago, Kris Martinson said:

OK fellow scrollers, I backed myself into a corner and I desperately need help to complete a project. I cut four plywood panel pictures that I want to use to make a lamp for my son. I was able to make the panels just fine, but I have no idea how to assemble them into a four-sided lamp. Each panel is 4" x 10" x 3/8". I want to have a lighted base and a top on it. Any good ideas of how to assemble it would be greatly appreciated.

Tiki 1.jpg

Tiki 2.jpg

Tiki 3.jpg

Tiki 4.jpg

If you have the equipment to do it, I'd cut a 3/16" rabbit on one internal edge of each panel. Making sure you did it on the same edge of each panel. Then, it's a simple matter of gluing them together with a good clamp system. They will end up being a "box". 

On 11/29/2017 at 8:10 PM, Kris Martinson said:

Tiki 1.jpg

Tiki 2.jpg

Tiki 3.jpg

Tiki 4.jpg

Nice lamps!

All the suggestions here are good and will work. The simplest suggestion I can come up with would be edge band two of the panels so the ply doesn't show and pocket screw together. 45 ing the whole thing together is also good but not easy to get a perfect fit if I were going that rout I would do that before the scrolling this way u don't screw  up a finished piece. Good luck.

I would just cut corner plates and glue to all four corners top and bottom and one in the middle of each panel cramp up go get a coffee n chillax until set but that`s just me I like simple and I like coffee :) You have plenty of meat on the sides away from your patterns you have cut to use any methods mentioned good luck post a pic up when finished it will be interesting to see it finished and lit up Good Luck