How do I finish my first project with cherry

OPi

I find with cherry you need to use something to bring out the grain.  Love cherry.

I use Tung oil (polymerized) and couple of coats.  I blow out between the holes.

If I want a shiny look I will spay with poly or I buff with the Beal buffing system.

I use quite a bit of cherry in many different types of projects. Crosses, napkin holders, dream catchers, etc. I cut my own feathers for the dream catchers from cherry, too. The best way I've found is a couple couple coats of clear shellac, & then I use Watco clear gloss. On the small projects, I use a rattle can. On bigger projects, I use my air sprayer.

For something like this I would use Watco Natural Danish Oil.  All of the small areas are difficult to get in.  I sometimes put a piece in a Ziploc bag with the Danish oil and shake it a bit.  You can the pour an remaining find ish back in the container.

I also use Shellac or Poly.  If you use light coats you can avoid the plastic look.