fret work sanding tips???

Brian

Hi Brian:

I use needle files and emery boards. I find these work well for touching up small inside cuts. You can cut down the emery boards if needed to fit the cut. The needle files you can find at Lowes, Home Depot, etc. The emery boards you can get anywhere they have a cosmetic department.

Great tip i did'nt know about Doug.I went to steve goods site and looked at all the videos but could'nt find one titled flutter wheel .Maybe his flap sander is it ,i don't know . My sound is out tonight so i could'nt listen to see if he said flap wheel flutter wheel were the same.Thanks for that great time saveing tip which i'll use as soon as i find out what it looks like and the cost. i searched the net but was redirected to off the wall sanding stuff.i'll keep trying ,again Thanks DOUG :)

For fuzzies Dans ideal is great I clamp old board behind my cutting this prevents any black smoke from getting on the front of the cutting

Flutter wheels also known as star ,mops and a few other names they come in

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2000266 ... Stars.aspx

http://www.rjrstudios.com/Merchant2/mer ... ry_Code=MP

David

Thanks Huntter2022,Steve did have a mop sander i seen.Looks like the perfect tool for us fretwork guys and gals.i have to work on getting one.I guess we need a fine grit one #220 #320?thanks for the come back earlyer it'll come in very use full soon.Not enough time in a day to do all i wanty so any i can save is well earned!Again thanks Huntter2022 :)

I tried the emery boards, great tip and cheap. Only .99 for a pack of them. The sanding mop is great for less delicate work, I'm my opinion. It does a great job at smoothing the edges of larger work, but I'm afraid it will tear apart the delicate work of this piece. Steve good has a video for a do it yourself sanding mop. It is cheaper than buying one , but some work to cut all the slits in the sand paper.

I've thought about the blow torch idea too...maybe a good thing to experiment on with some scrap wood.

I have broken delicate pieces with the "flutter wheel". Apparantly I don't move fast enough for the torch method. I ruined a project with that one too. While the needle file and emory board ideas are great, I wanted something faster. I use a dremel type rotory tool. It makes quick work of removing "fuzzies". The one I use is a cheap model I caught on sale for about $20 at Wal-Mart. I used to use abrasive bits. They worked good, but dug into the wood if you were not careful. Nowadays I use diamond tipped bits that I bought at Harbor Freight. They do a great job.

Actually, I caught another sale and now have two rotary tools. I keep one hung by a string over the workbench for dealing with fuzzies. Then I have a second one that stays beside my scroll saw that keeps a tiny drill bit in it that I use to drill entry holes with. I decided to do this after searching too hard a few time under my scroll saw bench for a lost drill bit while changing over from the drill bit to the diamond tipped bit.

I clamp the work FACE DOWN on a piece of scrap plywood and then give the back of the work a gentle treatment with a blowtorch. Then use a soft paint brush to flick away the ashes and burned fuzzies. A soft wire brush is OK too. Make sure the your piece is clamped flat all over so the flame so black smoke can't reach the face of your work. Magic