Loose Screws

Vector01

Do you have a few screws loose? I know I do :lol: In between projects I thought I would do some routine maintenance on my saw. I noticed I was getting some slack between my blade tightening screws and my blade holder. Evidently (in my saw anyways) the material used in the blade holders is softer than the steel in the blade screws. After constant loosening and tightening the threads in the blade holder were wearing. I went to my trusty toolbox for some inspiration. I came across a roll of plumbers pipe tape and thought that this might do the trick. Cleaned off the threads, tore off a piece of tapre about an inch long and wrapped it around the blade tightening screw threads. Reinserted the blade screws and it was good as new.

[attachment=0]loosescrw1.jpg[/attachment]

I have three scroll saws at the moment, and none of them are 100% original equipment. The two Deltas, especially my "main saw" has blade holders that have been redone so many times it's pitiful. While I love the Delta quickclamp II system that came with these saw, their major flaw to me is the plastic nut that is one them from the factory. It didn't take me long at all to strip that out. Instead, the adjustment screw is now a machine screw that has the head flattened on two sides to fit into the tabs that keeps it from spinning while you tighten it up with a wing nut. My other Delta is sort of on the back burner while I decide what to do with it. If you've seen the Quickclamp II system, the top clamp has a lever for quick blade changes that you flip to grab the blade. Well, all this is accomplished by that lever being L-shaped inside the two pieces that when you flip the lever, it expands the backside of the two halves to forces the front halves together, clamping the blade. Well, even with regular greaseing, the very end of that L is so worn down on that saw that it no longer effectively does it's job.

So, yes, I know exactly what you mean. Furthermore, I have found that with a little thought, (mine usually either while asleep or in the restroom) I can usually come up with something better that what the factory made to begin with.

Do you have a few screws loose? I know I do :lol: In between projects I thought I would do some routine maintenance on my saw. I noticed I was getting some slack between my blade tightening screws and my blade holder. Evidently (in my saw anyways) the material used in the blade holders is softer than the steel in the blade screws. After constant loosening and tightening the threads in the blade holder were wearing. I went to my trusty toolbox for some inspiration. I came across a roll of plumbers pipe tape and thought that this might do the trick. Cleaned off the threads, tore off a piece of tapre about an inch long and wrapped it around the blade tightening screw threads. Reinserted the blade screws and it was good as new.

[attachment=0]loosescrw1.jpg[/attachment]

Very clever! I'll have to file that one away. Thanks for sharing. :thumbs: