Hay Iggy!

trackman

The Hawk is sitting patiently in my garage waiting for me to give it a serious test.  Not sure when I'll do it though, but maybe soon.  I'm just happy with my DeWalt's and not excited about working with the Hawk, but I really need to so I can decide whether to keep it or sell it.

I haven't had an opportunity to try out an EX, that wasn't me.

3 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

The Hawk is sitting patiently in my garage waiting for me to give it a serious test.  Not sure when I'll do it though, but maybe soon.  I'm just happy with my DeWalt's and not excited about working with the Hawk, but I really need to so I can decide whether to keep it or sell it.

I sure like using the Hegner I bought in October. It would work great for your puzzles.  I would not go back to the Dewalt, mainly because they only last me about nine months. I do break a lot more blades than I did with my Dewalt. 

4 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

Maybe after Christmas we can get together.  I have an EX-21, hegner, and older Hawk.

1 hour ago, Dave Monk said:

I sure like using the Hegner I bought in October. It would work great for your puzzles.  I would not go back to the Dewalt, mainly because they only last me about nine months. I do break a lot more blades than I did with my Dewalt. 

That's the thing with the Hawk, it seems to snap blades and I absolutely HATE when that happens, it just ruins the enjoyment I get from cutting.

And same for me with the DeWalt, I get about 9 months out of each one.

12 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

Iggy, why didn't you return the saw, you were never satisfied with it from the time you got it? Now you'll have to take a loss if you try to sell it, and depending on the price you put on it, you may not be able to sell it.

Len

I had screwed up by not keeping the box/crate it came in and I didn't get around to looking into finding a service or a way to get it packaged and sent back.  I still plan on giving the saw a thorough test now that selling season is over and I'm not pressed to produce 35-50 puzzles a week, although that's about how many I want to make each week over the next 3 months.  I'll see how it goes.

14 hours ago, Dave Monk said:

Blade breakage on my Hegner has always been a problem and I can't figure out why!

bb

When I first got my Hegner I also broke a lot of blades.   I believe the right blade tension is more crucial on Hegner saws.   I was used to cutting on a Delta P20 which is a more aggressive cutting saw that may have also contributed to the issue.   Coming off a more aggressive cutting saw to a Hegner takes a little time to get used to.   I seldom break a blade anymore unless I try to use the blade beyond its useful life or push it beyond its normal limits. 

Edited by stoney

2 hours ago, trackman said:

I have been scrolling for about 7 years and have had one blade break while cutting. That was after I bent it and straightened it out.  I have an EX 21. With the EX the tension is the same all the time.  Never had one “just break “. 

My story almost exactly - 5 years instead of 7, and I can count on one finger on my left hand my number of broken blades. Also have an EX 21, I make sure when I put in a new blade, clamp bottom first and get it as vertical as possible. Then I loosen the tension knob in the back about a quarter turn. I'm a bottom feeder, so I insert the blade into whatever hole is available, clamp the blade in the top, tighten the tension knob about a quarter turn, flip the tension lever, and away I go. I loosen and then tighten the rear knob every time I start another cut-out.  Turning the tension knob before flipping the lever reduces wear on the tension knob. I cut at a higher tension, but have had no issues. Use FD blades, mainly because they are crimped so that I don't have to figure out which way is up. 

Merry CHRISTmas, ya'll.

3 minutes ago, OPi said:

My story almost exactly - 5 years instead of 7, and I can count on one finger on my left hand my number of broken blades. Also have an EX 21, I make sure when I put in a new blade, clamp bottom first and get it as vertical as possible. Then I loosen the tension knob in the back about a quarter turn. I'm a bottom feeder, so I insert the blade into whatever hole is available, clamp the blade in the top, tighten the tension knob about a quarter turn, flip the tension lever, and away I go. I loosen and then tighten the rear knob every time I start another cut-out.  Turning the tension knob before flipping the lever reduces wear on the tension knob. I cut at a higher tension, but have had no issues. Use FD blades, mainly because they are crimped so that I don't have to figure out which way is up. 

Merry CHRISTmas, ya'll.

The back knob isn’t there to adjust tension but to make saw cut more or less aggressive. I have mine adjusted to make the arm parallel to the table. You can set the amount of tension you get by adjusting the set screw were the level is. I got a beefed up lever from seyco 2 years ago an it locks in place like new. Not trying to school you but FYI 

5 hours ago, trackman said:

The back knob isn’t there to adjust tension but to make saw cut more or less aggressive. I have mine adjusted to make the arm parallel to the table. You can set the amount of tension you get by adjusting the set screw were the level is. I got a beefed up lever from seyco 2 years ago an it locks in place like new. Not trying to school you but FYI 

You're probably right, that is not the primary intended purpose of that knob, just like the primary intended purpose of a baseball bat is not to beat the hell out of that possum stealing my chicken eggs, but it works, so I go with it.

Appreciate your input.

wow! blade breakage again. I've owned two Hawks. My first one was a 220VS I bought used. Never broke a blade in it til I wore it out enough it was WORE OUT! I traded it for the BM 26 I have now, & that was over a year ago. I have broke one blade in the 26. It was my own doing, not the saw.

I've got a CW - 40 Hitachi saw, first saw I bought new 20+ years ago. I still use it for cuttin' feathers, flowers, etc. I've never broke a blade in it.

IMO, blade breakage can come from several things. Style of cutting, speed of feed into the blade, side to side movement, blade tension, saw alignment, arm alignment, bearings, cutting speed.  I've been scrollin' 25+ years & learn somethin' on every project. If you push to hard agin' the blade feeding into it, invariably the blade will snap. If the tension is to tight or to lose, yes, it will snap. All these things factor into blade breakage. As everyone knows, I'm sure.

Before the feathers fly, & ya get the idea I'm bein' a "know it all," that ain't the case at all. Read the other posts. Switchin' from different saws has alot to do with it, too. Some definitely cut more aggressive than others. Consider your cuttin' style. If ya like to cut aggressive, some saws won't fit that bill, no matter the blade in it. If you're a perfectionist, & a mediocre type cutter, find a saw that fits that bill, & you'll find your blade breakage will be a lot less, & scrolling will be more enjoyable. Just a few pennies from experience. My apologies for the length. 

9 hours ago, OPi said:

You're probably right, that is not the primary intended purpose of that knob, just like the primary intended purpose of a baseball bat is not to beat the hell out of that possum stealing my chicken eggs, but it works, so I go with it.

Appreciate your input.

I like your reasoning!!  Hate possums. 

11 hours ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

. Read the other posts. Switchin' from different saws has alot to do with it, too. Some definitely cut more aggressive than others. Consider your cuttin' style. If ya like to cut aggressive, some saws won't fit that bill, no matter the blade in it. If you're a perfectionist, & a mediocre type cutter, find a saw that fits that bill, & you'll find your blade breakage will be a lot less, & scrolling will be more enjoyable. Just a few pennies from experience. My apologies for the length. 

I think you really hit the mail on the head square and true with this statement.. I break blades with my Hawk.. and more so if I haven't used it in a while after using the 788.. i believe in my case.. I'm pushing the blade too much.. I'm used to the aggressive cutting of the 788.. I like to cut fast and the Hawk seems quite slow going for me.. which is really my biggest drawback from the saws.. My 226 has as many SPM 1750 as my 788 does.. but at full speed I was getting a lot of vibration... so I have to back it off a ways.. whenever I cut on the Hawks I feel like I'm forcing the wood through the blade...especially after the blade has been in the saw and cutting for about 10 min or so.. I ready for a new blade.. If I'm not breaking blades.. I'm still changing them well before I would need to on the 788..

I haven't cut much on my new EX-21 yet but I can say.. the SPM are slower than the 788.. but the blade clamp design is much like the 788.. and seemed to be cutting pretty much the same as the 788 would at a slower speed.. I kind of wonder about the blade clamp design of the Hawk.. you see they are allowed to rotate and or flex because they are on a round pin at both top and bottom.. which when pushing on them you can see that they will rotate to the back slightly.. the 788 and EX saws the blade is clamped firm into the clamp and it is a much more rigid blade once clamped and tension is applied ..that the blades are on the Hawks.. 

So yeah.. for me I'm quite certain it's because of the less aggressive cutting of the Hawk.. I do love cutting thin wood on it because it's easier to control what's going on with it..Just that.. well... I don't cut much thin wood.. well I do.. but typically stack cutting so.. it's not thin wood, LOL almost always cutting 1/2" +..