Cutting 1/2" ply

Dan

1 hour ago, Dan said:

I started cutting 1/2" BB ply with an FDUR #5. It was like driving a Chevette. Blah! I switched to a Polar #5 and wowzer! More like a Mustang GT 5.0. More tear out on the back but that I can live with on this project. 

This is the kind of info I still have to gather. I start using a blade and don't remember to experiment with others. I take it you are using Flying Dutchman? I bought a sample pack from them but so far I have only tried one of them. I can't recall what it was. Right now, I'm using the Pegas #3 MG. It works ok but I think I'd like to try something that doesn't have any reverse teeth to see if it cuts down on the wood lifting. I'm cutting a project out of 5/16" BB but not the best grade of it. I got it cheap.

Edited by octoolguy

I really think it's hard to decide what blade is right for each individual and have been experimenting with some different brands of blades.
Normally, I use the #5 blades practically exclusively but, from different manufacturers.
I was using Olsen Ultra reverse but, did thought there have to be better blades out there for precision and for blade life.
I also used the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse #5 and felt the same. Acceptable but, seemed lacking.
I bought a gross of blades called Sharktooth Ultra reverse, still #5 size, advertised as Highest Quality German Blades by Scroller.
and I have mixed emotions about them. The precision is very, very good
with smooth cuts and the blade life is very good also. I have cut 1/8" BB, 1/4" BB, 3/8" Maple, 1/2" Oak,  3/4" Pine and two 1 1/2" Compound ornaments
and the blades worked very well. That being said, they are EXTREMELLY AGGRESSIVE!  I notice a lot more of the wood chatter that octoolguy was talking
about with wood lifting. You have to take your time and make sure not to force the cuts or the blade will probably take off cutting with a life of it's own
on straight cuts or quickly veer off your pattern line.

These are just my observations and opinions which you may consider in your choice of blades. I should have mixed some different brands of blades instead of
ordering a gross of the Sharktooth blades. I think I have to remember to try to get some skip tooth blades instead of the Ultra Reverse.

Thanks for your insight and opinion or comparison of blades, Dan!

God Bless! Spirithorse

Edited by spirithorse

I used FDUR exclusively then tried the PMG blade also in sizes 3 and 5.  I agree with Dave and Gonzo, PMG works the best and seems to cut straighter too.

I found that if I slowed the feed rate of the wood into the blade, wood chatter all but disappeared.  And I put some MDF as a new table top on the excaliber to get rid of those vacuum holes, only one hole where the blade goes now

Jim

43 minutes ago, Denny Knappen said:

I use a lot of FD Polar blades.  For compound cutting, I use FD Polar #7 blades.  Just made eight more Miniature Birdhouse Ornaments.

Denny, I've gotta try some bird houses. I've done some compound ornaments that didn't come out so well, but that was before I fixed my saw. Maybe tonight. 

On 12/17/2017 at 5:17 PM, Dan said:

I started cutting 1/2" BB ply with an FDUR #5. It was like driving a Chevette. Blah! I switched to a Polar #5 and wowzer! More like a Mustang GT 5.0. More tear out on the back but that I can live with on this project. 

Your right about wood lift but that's a good thing as it makes you hold the wood down and that way you have more control where the blade goes or doesn't go.