craft/art shows

NiTay614

I showed some of my scroll saw work this past weekend. I discovered that the location was not the greatest. I learned that I need to come up with a better method for displaying my portraits. When the wind blew, they would fall over and some were scratched as they landed face down on a CONCRETE SIDEWALK. I did get some exposure and that was my goal. I have also entered three portraits in the County Fair. I would be very appriciative for suggestions in the area of showing work. I will be doing another in September.

It depends on the market that you are in. I sell in a primarily agriculture area, which is considered the hardest to sell, and I have to display many different themes to attract the different types of "wants". I use screens which surround my booth with some in the middle. I try to use a 10x20 foot booth when I can afford it. I have learned several times that I cannot do outdoor shows. The weather is too unpredictable and the wind will surely blow. I have been doing shows since 1988 and have learned that you cannot ever predict with any certainty how you will do or what will sell. I have found that I cannot sell with any success during any months except those leading into the Christmas season. My first show is in Sept. and my last is Thanksgiving weekend. You need to find those shows sponsored by organizations that are respected locally.