New Years Resolutions....Projects

Sycamore67

Well, I have cleaned my shop up after making ornaments and some puzzles as Christmas presents.  I am thinking about what I want to try this next year.  

The number one think is the Screech Owl Intarsia by Kathy Wise using some Bocote wood I have saved.  I also want to try a Schwibbogen pattern for next Christmas. 

What projects do others have in mind to try next year?

I haven't been in shop much last few weeks but I plan on some various intarsia projects this upcoming year to build up my intarsia skills.I am looking at the great horned owl. I'm not quite ready yet. I definitely have to finish up my maloof rocker this year. And oh yeah fix and clean up that shelf that collapsed from piling so much wood on it. :)

Military plaques, a couple different designs. Steve Good has some. I spoke with him and he said he will try to fit some occupational clocks in this year so will be looking for those. Want to make some vinyl record clocks this year. A couple billiard clocks I have in mind. Couple playing card clocks. Many different pens. Have so many of those ideas. Some banks. Couple different napkin holders. They are always good sellers. Will be getting away from the religious crosses this year. Will carry my bigger ones because I still need to sell them. Will be turning a couple new birdhouse ornaments. Golfer clocks I will be bringing back as well as my golf ball display rack. I have been asked for this so it is on my list. I need to bring back my heart shaped mirrors again. I am sure there will be other things that will come up. Will stay busy enough to keep me out of trouble. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I shut down every winter.  Using inkscape to make Coat of Arms for my 2 siblings.  Am 1  1/2 done with these 2 patterns.  Not intarsia in the sense that you would expect.  Have no desire to own various types of wood at my age.  Will cut from 1/8 & 1/2 BB and paint the pieces with rattle cans.

coat of arms herold.JPG

coat of arms phillips.JPG

My big want for next year, is to be able to use my saw again. It's been well over three years, since I've been able to cut anything. And I have no idea when I will be able to, and neither has the surgeon. I had cataract surgery done on my eyes over three years ago, ever since then I've had double vision in my left eye. Seeing double out of that eye, makes it almost impossible to follow a line drawn on paper. There is an awful lot of things I would like to cut out, but all I can do is admire other's cuttings. It sucks big time, not being able to use the scroll saw. Especially, when you enjoy it as much as I do.

Len

3 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

My big want for next year, is to be able to use my saw again. It's been well over three years, since I've been able to cut anything. And I have no idea when I will be able to, and neither has the surgeon. I had cataract surgery done on my eyes over three years ago, ever since then I've had double vision in my left eye. Seeing double out of that eye, makes it almost impossible to follow a line drawn on paper. There is an awful lot of things I would like to cut out, but all I can do is admire other's cuttings. It sucks big time, not being able to use the scroll saw. Especially, when you enjoy it as much as I do.

Len

Oh that sucks Len. I have been putting this off for some time now. I need both eyes too. I was told I need to decide soon. My brother does too. He is worse than me. 

13 hours ago, Lucky2 said:

My big want for next year, is to be able to use my saw again. It's been well over three years, since I've been able to cut anything. And I have no ".idea when I will be able to, and neither has the surgeon. I had cataract surgery done on my eyes over three years ago, ever since then I've had double vision in my left eye. Seeing double out of that eye, makes it almost impossible to follow a line drawn on paper. There is an awful lot of things I would like to cut out, but all I can do is admire other's cuttings. It sucks big time, not being able to use the scroll saw. Especially, when you enjoy it as much as I do.

Len

Len, I had 3 surgeries to one eye years ago.  Ended up with double vision also.  Optometrist put a prism in one eyeglass that was as thick as the bottom of a Coke bottle.  Worked OK but the frame wasn't designed to hold that thickness.  When it was time for new glasses, I went to a different eye Dr.  He said, "Heck I can split the numbers and put a prism on both sides".  Made an unbelievable difference.  Now I only have double vision when the glasses are off.

I have a really nice magnifying lens & light above the saw.  The prisms do not allow me to use that magnifier, however, I wear a flip down magnifying visor with no problem.

PLEASE keep looking until you find an optometrist smart enough to put a prism in each side of your glasses.  Double vision is correctable if the right person tries.

jerry

Jerry and John, thanks for replying to this subject, and for mentioning the prisms Jerry. I am aware of them, and of what they can possibly do for me. I've been to see the optometrist three times, but she is having a problem getting a reading she is comfortable with. Each time I've been to see her, she gets a different set of numbers. So I've been waiting to get in to see another optometrist, but she is in a different city. And she has to treat the local patients first, but she is trying to get me in to see her. Once I make my first visit, I will be considered a regular patient and I will have no problem getting in then. It's just a waiting game now, so I'll wait.

Len

Edited by Lucky2

On 12/23/2017 at 4:33 PM, Sycamore67 said:

Well, I have cleaned my shop up after making ornaments and some puzzles as Christmas presents.  I am thinking about what I want to try this next year.  

The number one think is the Screech Owl Intarsia by Kathy Wise using some Bocote wood I have saved.  I also want to try a Schwibbogen pattern for next Christmas. 

What projects do others have in mind to try next year?

getting the warehouse ship shape for production work.i have a bench 25' long with all the machines and tools a scroller could want.i just can't get to them .More wood just keeps coming in (hardwood ) who can say no to free hard wood.All the exercise machines need to go except for one good one ,and then i'll work on what else i can live with out,I have to pull my self out of bed with a rope from the ceiling that's how cramped it is in here .