When do you wear a dust mask

malc

I wear mine mainly when I'm running my belt sander because it throws so much dust in the air and my respirator when I'm staining because the fumes give me a headache.

That being said, I continue to say I'm going to start wearing it all the time like I should any time I'm working in the shop creating any kind of dust, just like Vector said. Most of the time the dust doesn't bother me though. After so many years smoking non-filter cigarettes, I guess I've already damaged my lungs enough to not notice other dangers that much.

I also need to start wearing my safety glasses more.

Should i smell wood dust or burnt wood from turning the corners to fast ,i know i left my dust extractor off.I sit right in front of the central a.c.filter intake.The central a.c. has a very strong squirrel cage motor fan and really moves dust air from the scroll saw ,belt sander on drum sander on the drill press.I use pleated paper filters.The size of the a.c.intake hole is a weird size nobody has. So i modified a filter box to fit in the standard hole intake which can be taken out just by pulling it out , :) and now it takes common filter sizes 20" x 20" instead of 16.5 x 19.There is no sign of any dust in the house other than heavy cutting chips in the shop.I highly recommend useing this method.A dust collector is very noisey and this is very quite.A box with a paper filter and a squirrel cage fan will do the same the same for you.When i see the filter bowing in from starting to clog up i just vacumn clean with a brush attachment on a hose.Good for many more projects.When i spray glue or paint i direct the spray towards the intake of a well used filter and throw that one away when it can no longer be vacumned from paint stuck to the dust.I never worn a mask scrolling with this set up.Creater comforts!

I usually don't wear a dust mask when I scroll (unless it's MDF). I almost always wear one when I sand or create fine dust. I'll actually feel it in my lungs for 1 or 2 days if I do some major sanding without a dust mask. I'll also wear eye protection as well. Mostly because I wear contacts and the dust just loves to stick to them.

If you are working with an exotic or spalted wood, I'd definitely wear a dust mask and eye protection until you are familiar with how your body will react to these woods. Some woods can cause a very severe allergic reaction. If you want a Wood Toxicity Chart for your workshop, you can download it from our Downloads section.

I wear a Dustbeegone dust mask...works great.. won't fogg your glasses either..rinse clean when you are finished for the day...just hang it up to drip dry and it is ready the next time you need it...comfortabe to!...lasts for years...the down side is that it is quite expensive...but hey... your lungs are worth it! great service from the lady who runs the site...hope this helps save your lungs..

Doug

I'll actually feel it in my lungs for 1 or 2 days if I do some major sanding without a dust mask. .

I regularly cough up saw dust. I thought that was just a sign that I was a dedicated wood worker. Actually, after years of smoking and all the asbestos I've inhaled over the years from my mechanic days doing brake work, except for rare times when I'm really throwing fine dust, I think of sawdust as fresh air.