Miniature birdhouses

Dan

8 hours ago, Dan said:

These are addictive. I've started doing more shaping of the birds but those guys are tiny and difficult to hold. I'm not great at painting but I hope to improve. I give them to my wife for Brownie points. :D

20180112_141556~01.jpg

20180112_141537~01.jpg

Boy a shaped bird sure makes a big difference,Wonder why it was'nt suggested before? Well done Dan!!!!!! The painting is tops!!!!!!!!!!

Could you drill a little hole in the bottom of the bird, put a round tooth pick in it and use that to hold the bird while you paint it,  or glue the unpainted bird to the perch you are going to mount the bird on (leave the perch long), shape and paint the bird, the cut the perch to length and glue it into the bird house.  Use the perch to hold the bird while shaping/painting.

3 hours ago, tomsteve said:

looks good,dan! 

on holding them birds, im wonderin if something similar to this would help ya

https://www.amazon.com/PanaVise-Model-201-Junior-Miniature/dp/B000B61D22

Thanks Tom. I have one very similar. The bits are less than 3/4" long so the vices are not much help. 

1 hour ago, Scrappile said:

Could you drill a little hole in the bottom of the bird, put a round tooth pick in it and use that to hold the bird while you paint it,  or glue the unpainted bird to the perch you are going to mount the bird on (leave the perch long), shape and paint the bird, the cut the perch to length and glue it into the bird house.  Use the perch to hold the bird while shaping/painting.

Paul, that's very similar to what I'm doing now. The carving/shaping is the hard part. I may try adapting your idea to a very thin screw to help hold it. Right now I use a 3" long pin (the kind used in upholstering) to hold during painting.