Old pattern and tape

savethebeer

Today when I was tidying the workshop I came across 2 pieces of wood with a pattern attached. It was some unknown ply and the pattern was a Christmas tree (2 identical pieces that slide into each other at right angle so it stands on its own) I remembered starting it about 2 years ago but giving it up because it was just not exciting me and it was just dragging whilst I was doing it. I half cut one piece of wood and then just threw the two pieces into a corner and forgot about it. 

I had just finished 2 new pieces this morning, decided to tidy the shop, found the 2 old pieces and decided I didn't really want to tidy after all, so I finished off the first piece in 20 minutes. When I started peeling off the pattern I found it peeled off very easily, without pulling off any grain. I was so pleased that I decided to cut the second one and between the band saw and the scroll saw I did this one in about 20 minutes.

Two things I discovered today, I'm obviously doing my cuttings far quicker and easier than 2 years ago, and I was very surprised at being able to remove a pattern after over two years and not damage the wood. What is the longest anyone has left a pattern on before finishing it.?

At the end of the day I still don't like the finished product so I'll probably just add the tree to my fuel pile.

Bob

I don't think I have left a pattern on more than I year and it was the pattern "Old Griz" designed of the Pennsey locomotives and it was sprayed on the pattern itself so no problem taking it off with mineral sprits. How ever with the blue tape it will come off but not very easy. I had a lot of scrap pieces with tape still on them that are probably 2 years old and that was difficult to get the tape off. I don't have a heat gun or a hair dryer that would make it easier to take the tape off. Just thankful it was not the old masking tape, it would still be on!

Erv

Thanks AK and Fred for mentioning that. I've just realised the shelf where I store/stack my tape is in a bright sunny spot and sometimes it is difficult to unroll, whereas a new roll that I've just removed from within a press is such a pleasure to unroll. So I'll keep all my tape in a covered place from now on. Having said that it would normally be a few days at the most before I peel a pattern off so I've never had too many problems.

Bob