spiral blades???

hayu

I use almost exclusively spirals. I like spirals because I can cut in any direction. I often cut portraits that are too large to cut on my scrollsaw. As long as I use spirals though, I can do it as long as the portrait is small enough that the blade will reach halfway into the board. Spirals are great on portraits because you don't have to turn your wood for spirals. Just move the wood in the opposite direction of what you want to cut. As for cutting straight, they do cut straight, with practice. I often hear problems from different scrollers on cutting straight. I think a lot of it comes down to what you are used to. I cut a lot of straight cuts, therefore I have gotten quite good at it, with flat blades and spirals.

In short though, a spiral can be used for anything that a flat blade can be used for. The next question most people ask is why anyone would want to use a spiral. That answer comes down to personal preference. In my shop, I used probably twenty spirals for every flat blade. Actually, I don't use any "flat" blades. I have an old Craftsman that used nothing but pinned end blades. I used what I guess could be used flat blades in it, and if they made pinned end spirals, I wouldn't use flats then. I just prefer spirals. You will also find some scrollers that don't even have a spiral in their shop. They don't use them, period. It's because of personal preference though.

The next problem most people have with spirals is that they don't last long. I went through that too. I had some spirals that wouldn't cut a half inch into quarter inch wood before they broke. Then I found the answer to that one. I ordered blades from Mike's Workshop. I used mostly Flying Dutchman #2 spirals. They last just as long as a flat blade of a similar size. You can get spirals though in smaller or larger sizes. I just like #2s. I recently tried some #10 spirals. I am just as thrilled with those as what I normally use, only for when I want a thicker and faster cut though. I have tried #2/0 spirals. They are tiny. I guess I could use them if I had something to cut that was that fine, but I haven't found a use for them yet.

I'm sorry. I tend to run on sometimes.

The simple answer to your questions though are:

1: for anything you would normally use a flat blade for if you'd like

2: They do cut straight with some practice.

They are the best to me for cutting foiliage or anything else where your changeing directions as offen, as your taking your next breath.They really came in handy when i did a 59 cadillac grill that our travis designed.I needed precise control as a little to the left or right and i'd blow through to the next hole.

• 2 weeks later...

All blades need to go very slow in the corners except spirals.Thats where the heat builds up ,stress and strain is at it's greatest,and if you want to break a blades just turn quick.Some times i'll widen the turnaroud corner with a few extra cuts to help lessen the heat and strain on thick or hard woods.If the tension is not tight the blade wants to break fast too.hope that helps."mike @mikes workshop.com" has spirals with flat ends .They are the easyest to attach to your saw.I highly recomend them to anybody ,especially beginers if you want to try spirals.Hope this helps.

what i have found with spirals is I have to cut slooow so i can be accurate and keep moving, if i stop i have a tendency to make a little "nub" cuz it doesn't take much to move them off the line

With practice, if you decide you like them, you'll be able to cut fast as you can with any other blade. I do. Now for moving them off the line as you put it, I overcome that problem long time ago. The trick, for me anyway, is I run my blades a tad tighter than most people would deem necessary. The only drawback I have had with this method is my poor old Delta quickclamps catch hell. I have rebuilt them with non-factory parts such as machine screws more time than I can count. I already know that some of you may think this is going to cause the blades to break more, but not from my experience. Those little buggers are tougher than they look. The trick, and this takes trial and error, is to find that happy medium between tight enough not to wander but not so tight that they break as soon as you apply tension.

All that being said, remember, I love spirals and use them almost exclusively. Unless you really like spirals, you will not want to go through the learning curve to use them the way I do. As has been said before, they are not for everyone. If you like them though, you can get good with them. Anyone who knows me here knows the quality of my work. I use spirals on all fretwork. As a matter of fact the only thing I don't use spirals on is my large projects like the rocking toys. I cut them on my old Craftsman direct drive that takes only pinned blades, and if they made pinned spirals, I'd use them for that too. I cut fast and I cut straight.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I'm with you Roly.  I despise them.  Have some that I needed for a large project and cussed all the way through.  Those left have probably rusted away.  With my reverse blades, you don't have the messy back to clean up and also get smoother cuts.  I would rather spend my time cutting rather than cleaning up the mess.