Lifting Patterns

Travis

Here's an interesting topic that I'd throw out there. I've seen and heard of some folks lifting patterns from finished projects. It should be noted that pulling patterns from finished projects also violates copyright laws. After all, you're still taking a pattern from the original artist without compensation/recognition. Even if you're doing all the legwork (copying, tracing, etc), its still illegal and disrespectful. I know I find it very irritating when someone pulls a pattern from one of my original finished cuttings. My Mr. Bean portrait, for example, has been lifted a few times and I try to shut down anybody who does so. I give away almost all of my patterns for free. But there are a few I don't for various reasons. This one in particular wasn't distributed because it was based on a movie poster. So please don't lift patterns from finished cuttings. We need to respect our fellow artist's rights, no matter the medium.

Ok, I, forever the dumb@$$, have another stupid question. How do you lift patterns from a finished piece without ruining the finished piece?

Yes, I know I sound ignorant. I am ignorant on a subject like this. When I read this post, while I see how sorry it is for a person to do such a thing, it also made me roll back in my chair and contemplete on how they do it. The only thing I could come up with would be to take the finished piece out of the frame, if its framed. Lay it down on a piece of paper. Then spray paint over it, creating an image of the cutting, just reversed from what we normally see. The black, or what ever color spray paint is used, would be the cutout. Is this the way they do it? Or is there some other way?

I hope I don't give anyone any stupid ideas by asking this. I just became curious and furious at the same time. I have an extensive pattern collection now. I don't even design patterns but despise anyone who would steal one. I probably have well over a thousand dollars invested in patterns. Every single one I have bought was worth every penny. Even the worst pattern I've ever ordered is still worth what I paid. These people would get mad if someone walked up and stole their cuttings. So why do they think it's alright to steal someone's patterns?

They basically take the hi-rez photos from the gallery or forum posts and use thier computer to trace the image.

thumb_mrbean.jpgFor my Mr. Bean, they probably just took the picture, brought it into GIMP. With a few filters, they can extract the pattern from the picture of my finished cutting. So with relative ease, they can steal my pattern without much effort. It may not be as good of quality as the original pattern, but they get pretty close.

thumb_buffalo.JPGFor something like Clayton's bison intarsia, they'd take the finished picture and trace the image in a program like Inkscape. The problem with something like that is they're not stealing from Clayton. He didn't design the pattern. In fact, they're actually stealing from the person Clayton bought the pattern from.