Worthington Hall Clock

thumb_006~29.JPGthumb_001~31.JPGthumb_011~17.JPGthumb_007~28.JPGthumb_010~25.JPG

The Worthington Hall Clock has a main body made of oak with mahogany trim. The plans to build one yourself can be bought from Wildwood Designs. It is a fairly simple clock to build. While the plans call for a clock insert, I prefer to cut a clock face and use a simple battery operated clock movement. If you'd like, you can go check out the steps of building this clock in the Works In Progress section.

I like your idea of cutting the dial, instead of using the insert.

Another plus for me to cut my dial is the fact that it gives me an opportunity to actually add something of my own to this project and others like it. I currently have the patterns for about seven different clocks and each one so far I have designed a different style face for. I never claimed to be a pattern designer. I don't have the skill or patience for that. A clock face is rather easy to do though. For example, on this clock, the outside edges for the face is actually supposed to be a trim piece around the insert. I used that and a ruler to track down the center of it. Then I used a compass to make an inner circle to cut so the clock movement and hands would have plenty of room. Then the numbers are actually just traced from the little plastic stick on numbers that came with the clock movement kit.

I just do different things on different clocks. For example, I did a version of the Patriot Clock from Steve Goodes website. After adding a bottom section to it though with an MIA/POW cutout on front, I also added another section midway up for the clock instead of using a small insert. For the face of that clock though it was just round and instead of numbers, every hour marking has a star cut out.

Amazing piece. Any idea how many hours you have invested in this piece?

SQ

Actually this is one of the easier clock I do. If you knock off all the little coffee and cigarette breaks that I take, and the times I stop working when someone comes into the shop to visit with me, this clock took me about fifteen hours to build.

There are other clocks I've done that take upwards of fifty hours to complete and have trim pieces that test the patience of even a good scroller. This particular clock though, the Worthington, even a beginner could do with just a little extra time and patience. My rambling sometimes may make it confusing, but if you get the plans from Wildwood Designs, it is only two large pages of plans. All the pieces are drawn full scale and can be cut on most scroll saws. Certain pieces now, like the back of it, are easier to cut if you build it according to the plans. I cut the back piece from one solid piece of wood. However, in the plans, it is broke down into three seperate pieces that are held together by the placement of other pieces that go onto it. That method makes it easier to cut for most people.

I don't know if I placed it in this thread, but here's a link to the plans if you think you may want to build one of these:

http://www.wildwooddesigns.com/The_Wort ... _P1047.cfm

• 2 weeks later...