scroll sawing bone/brick rock or slate

Scottis

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Coated-Blades-Lapidary-Cutting/dp/B000OVNRP0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1516685167&sr=8-2&keywords=diamond+scroll+saw+blade   Why wood you want to abuse your tools scrolling hard material such as that. If doing stone than diamond stone blades are the only blade to cut it and they would best be served used water cooled. The dust from those material needs serious vac and not left on the floor where it is kicked back into the air. Antler is used alot in pen turning and is nasty stuff and again serious health problems from the dust. Same with any bone material. Seriously folks you need to study the material you are working with as well as finishing products. Health issues are nothing to take lightly. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

I think that some of us have quite a bit more experience than you.  I would not cut rock or slate on my scroll saw as the particles will damage the moving parts.  Secondly, I do not want to breath the dust from rock or antler.  The Clockman was giving you good advice in his own way. 

If you want to cut rocks on your scroll saw feel free to do so.  Diamond blades are available, expensive and you need some type of water drip system and vacuum system. Be aware that the saw will be contaminated with rock dust and not good for wood again.

1 hour ago, Scottis said:

was just asking a curious question not on how stupid it sounds  i know there is health risk with bone and i just wanted to know if there was a way to cut the other's  i guess it was stupid after all for a newbie to wonder sry to take up your time clockman.

From what I hear, you can get cattle bone that has already been cleaned in pet stores.  Should be able to slice it down.  It is on my list.  Didn't know it was dangerous, I guess everything is, including wood.  I'll have to remember to wear a mask.

I have the diamond blades ready to try some Rock cutting.  Even have a special type of scroll saw made especially for glass, ceramic, rock, etc. (Gryphon diamond saw).  I've cut just a bit to test it out, but hope to get more time on it this Summer.

Edited by hotshot

On 1/22/2018 at 9:09 PM, Scottis said:

has anyone used the material bone/rock/ brick or slate

and what would the best blade for each be?

I've cut a lot of 2"-3"and bigger letters out of cement board,water proof 1/2" with wood blades .They were used blades i saved and good thing as i could cut about an 1" an a half and the teeth were gone.

3 hours ago, Scottis said:

was just asking a curious question not on how stupid it sounds  i know there is health risk with bone and i just wanted to know if there was a way to cut the other's  i guess it was stupid after all for a newbie to wonder sry to take up your time clockman.

So as a newbie you took my post as a poke at you. I asked you a serious question why would you subject your saw to such abuse it will take cutting rocks and bricks?? I have no idea who you are how much time you have behind a saw or what saw you have. Can it be done sure anything can be done. Why don't you try it and give us some feedback and educate us all. Again not knowing your status I mention health risks. Not sure if you are aware of these. I gave you a link to the type of blade in MY opinion will get you where you want to go and that is coming from someone with over 35 years of experience at many aspects of the woodworking trade. I work in the construction field and have seen first hand what simple sheetrock dust can do. I have witnessed mason cutting stone with no water and have seen lung cancer patients from this. When cutting bone you have no idea where that came from and what condition that animal was in. Bone marrow can carry disease. I read this alot on turning forums because antler is used alot for pen blanks. 

But do not take anything I said serious and do what you feel is the best for you. But I did take the time to answer you. Your welcome.