Scrollen Tools

Vector01

Here's a few things I use when scrollen on a regular basis. These might be handy for the new scrollers out there.

[attachment=0]scrollen stuff.jpg[/attachment]

1. Zero clearance insert...This is handy when you want to save small pieces. Also helps to keep scrap from dropping into and binding in the insert while cutting. I used a piece of 1/8" plastic to make mine (sized for my saw).

2. Swing arm magnifying lamp...Most lights that come with the saw are pretty much useless. If your working under flourescent lighting this doesn't help much either. I found the swing arm lamps provide the proper lighting and can be adjusted as needed. The magnifier comes in handy when cutting fine details.

3. Blade lube...This is great when you're cutting dense hardwoods. Extends the life of the blade, cuts easier by lubricating the blade. One stick will probably last you for quite a while.

4. Sponge sanding blocks...Come in various grits and are great for cleaning up the fuzz while cutting(even with reverse blades). I like to check the cuts while working on a pattern to see if they are wide enough and shaped the way I want. A lot of times the fuzz will block the cut (especially thin cuts) making it hard to see through the line. The sponge material compresses and helps in getting into the cuts to clean them up.

5. 2" Machinist square...A must when setting up a new blade or to periodically check your blade during a cut. This will ensure that your blade is square to your table before starting a project (table set to zero/flat cutting).

6. 1-1/2" Soft bristle paint brush. The saw dust tends to build up on the bottom of the wood during a cut. This comes in handy to brush off the buildup so your wood lays flat on the table. Also comes in handy to get the thin scraps of wood out of fine lines, etc. The soft bristles won't damage those thin cuts.

Can I add to the list?

Dremil type tool. Mine is a much cheaper brand from Wal-Mart. When doing detailed portraits, these are invaluable for drilling holes to feed your blade through. Throw into this same category wire drill bits. That's those tiny ones. If you can't find them locally, check with Mike's Workshop. He keeps them in stock.

Quality blades. I use Flying Dutchman, also from Mike's. I have came to realize that there are many sources out there for cheap blades of inferior quality. These el-cheapo blades, in my opinion, are the #1 culprit in turning a lot of people from scrolling. When I first started scrolling, I had about one more day of breaking three dozen blades in as many hours before I was going to have a bon fire and throw my saw in.

Personal additions to the list:

Stereo. You can substitute this listing with you i-thingy or whatever you prefer. I think more people than not though listen to something in the shop, whether it be music, news, sports, or whatever.

Coffee Pot. Very little would get done in my shop without a coffee pot. I'm one of those weirdos that at two in the afternoon with triple digit temperatures, I'm brewing my third pot of coffee of the day.

I also keep a couple things.

Needle files - Good for cleaning up the fuzzies in the fretwork.

Pin Vise - Despite the name, this is actually a drill. Its basically like a screwdriver that holds a small drill bit. I use it to poke out small pieces in my cutting. It will also enlarge pilot holes that get "lost" on the underside of the wood. You could also drill small pilot holes if you don't want to trek through the snow to the drill press for one lousy hole you missed (happens to me a lot).

Pattern Mounting - Blue painters tape and packing tape along with some spray adhesive.

I use an old thin saw blade to poke through the pilot holes Travis, I keep a few in a tumbler next to my saw.

I also have a board with a none slip material glued to the under side that I can put on the saw table to give it a lift, then I can use a bit of the blade that would not normally be used.

You also need a heater in the winter if you are outside in the garage.

Marg

Vector, I love the blade holder design you have on the left side of your saw. I have my blades in a bass tackle type box and have to spin back and forth when I break a blade. I may try and incorporate something like that when i get my shop set up in the garage. Right now I just cut in a spare bedroom. That looks like a very inexpensive and great way to organize your blades.