Newbie questions -part "the next"...Backing

new2woodwrk

Please forgive my ignorance, not sure of the names of things yet...

I've been looking at the gallery (great bunch of work btw) as well as looking at online images of others work.

My question is what types of backing would you use for say a cut out (I know poor choice of words since pretty much everything is a cutout lol)  - here's and example of what I'm calling a cutout:

leaf.jpg.b609bc9b31906f3c9073153014c3d471.jpg

Would you use colored paper, cloth or something else?

Also, if you put a back on piece of work, do you also frame it? Do you add any type of protection like acrylic or glass in the frame?

Thanks in advance

For me it all depends on what I am working on. For portraits I use black felt ( normally ) since it makes the art work pop. Other pieces I do I stain the backer board to the desired color. A lot of depends on the desired effect I am going for. I always use something in a matte finish since you don't want any glare taking away from the scrolled work. I'm sure others will chime in on this and help better explain it.

There are no rules that govern what we must do. Everyone is different and every project is different. Mixing up the look is a good thing. I have painted backers, used felt, used different colored woods such as walnut and red oak for contrast. I do not do portraits so no framing. But there are those that do and use glass in the frame and some who do not. So you see the sky and your imagination are the only limits as to what you can do. Good luck.

6 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Please forgive my ignorance, not sure of the names of things yet...

I've been looking at the gallery (great bunch of work btw) as well as looking at online images of others work.

My question is what types of backing would you use for say a cut out (I know poor choice of words since pretty much everything is a cutout lol)  - here's and example of what I'm calling a cutout:

leaf.jpg.b609bc9b31906f3c9073153014c3d471.jpg

Would you use colored paper, cloth or something else?

Also, if you put a back on piece of work, do you also frame it? Do you add any type of protection like acrylic or glass in the frame?

Thanks in advance

Try everything,you never know what will make it stand out the best.

Don't apologize for not knowing everything from the start. I'm a very new scroller and so far, I've not accomplished much more than making some friends here on SSV. I have two saws and haven't truly finished anything. I've got a lot of great starts though. It's the finishing process that bogs me down. There are no "dumb or stupid questions" or so I was told a while back. Have fun. That's the main thing.

Ray

I use BB for the project and the backgrounds. Just cut it to size the same time i lay everything out and it will fit perfect. paint or stain it as needed. guaranteed fit. of course it would be silly to use 3/4" pine front and back. if thats the deal then use a thin piece of plywood as a bacler. tales paint and stays rigid.

I've used a number of different materials for backers; artist mat board, colored poster board, stained/painted BB ply.  I used felt once, but didn't care for it.  I thought it showed the dust too much.

I've not used any kind of glass or acrylic over top of portraits.  I think glass can add a very formal look.  If that is what you are going for, then by all means give it a try.  I would suggest using non-glare glass.

I like to frame pieces, especially if it's something like a portrait that I've cut from BB ply.  I just think a frame really sets the piece off and provides a more finished look.  Sometimes I'll use mat board on the front to add a little more depth. 

A couple others I have used are stained glass such as the blue in the Twin Towers project and also colored mirror (plastic) in the rose projects. I use fancy plastic in the oval crosses, used felt on the Blessed Mary. You can use anything.

Sorry I do not have a photo of the colored mirror roses because of Photobucket. Guess we can not access our old gallery photos here as well so again sorry. 

656Blessed_Mary-med.jpg

656Sept_11_2001-med.jpg

656Oval_Crosses.jpg

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN