Charging

edward

29 minutes ago, edward said:

Just wondering if anyone  charges there power tools until they need to be used, I find that when I go to use them the battery is dead or nearly out of juice.  just curious what people think.    edward

I googled it once and found out to keep the batterys charged every 3 months  to keep them in shape.

I tried following all the rules on every kind of battery from the nicads all the way through to the lithiums. I never had any luck with any of them until the lithiums came out. They finally have them perfected in my book. I have two 20 volts B&D batteries for my two drills and saw. I never charge them unless I have used them pretty hard. Then I charge them until I need them again. No hard and fast rule. They are doing fine and are each over 3 years old. I bought the two drills on a close out at H/D for $20 each. If the batteries go bad, I'll just buy a new drill even if I have to pay full price. Black and Decker is outstanding in their customer service. Another story though.

Ray

Not sure why - but I have a ridiculous collection of hand drills - 3 corded and 3 cordless ..... my favourite is an ancient Makita 7.2 volt cordless that my wife bought me 30 some years ago - now on the 3rd battery.  It is great for small jobs and perfect for use with the sanding mop on fretwork projects that need a little gentler touch than the drill press will give.

Jay

6 minutes ago, RangerJay said:

Not sure why - but I have a ridiculous collection of hand drills - 3 corded and 3 cordless ..... my favourite is an ancient Makita 7.2 volt cordless that my wife bought me 30 some years ago - now on the 3rd battery.  It is great for small jobs and perfect for use with the sanding mop on fretwork projects that need a little gentler touch than the drill press will give.

Jay

I was with Snap-On Tools back then and I bought one of the first Makita's. It was orange. Came in a metal box. That battery lasted until the drill finally wore out. The 9.6 of that same vintage was a winner too.

Ray

4 hours ago, RangerJay said:

Jay

I have 5 of the Makitas that use the 9volt batteries. Find them at times at yard sales. $5 good to go. Love those drills. No hard fast rule for charging. I try to keep at least one battery charged and if doing a project I will 5 or 6 batteries on charge. I have the line of makita tools that take that battery. Has never let me down. 

I have had my Makita 18V Lithium batteries for 6-8 years.  It is recommended not to let them completely discharge or sit completely discharged.  When my batteries start to show a slowdown, I put them on the charger.  I do use my drills very often.

I have a Milwaukee 12V drill that has a battery charge indicator and when it gets low, it goes on the charger.

My son-in-law has the same Makita 18 V batteries and he let his set discharged and they stopped working.  A new battery was about $80.

I think it depends on the battery and the charger as some batteries charge from where they last charge too and others will charge until they get so hot they are damaged and some chargers will cut out and others continue to charge that will also damage the battery so check which battery you have and if the charger cuts out or not. Roly