MDF getting a good finish

malc

If you are staining wouldn't it be better if you used veneered mdf , might be a bit dearer but at least you will be able to stain it and get the finish you are looking for.

I use mdf and I usually paint it which gives me a good uniform finish and covers up any unevenness.

For the edges well, as you say "the cut edges soak up paint like its going out of fashion", don't think there is much you can do

Paint usually fills it so maybe a few thick coats of clear may do the same.

Mr MALC,I can help on this .I use alot of expensive acrylic paints (artists type) not house paint and ran across the same problem of ,soaking up material.Now i spray clear on the edges,let dry and one coating of my acrylic paint, will cover in one coating.Another thing i found out about staining ,is when you stain soft wood it sucks up way to much stain that can't be wiped off like hard woods.Again the same trick i learned from a guy that do'es doors proffessionaly,(staining).Thanks for asking as i forget all i know at times in a rush to get something out the door.i hope somebody comes out with a book of these tips for us woodheads!lol. :)

This is a tricky one. MDF is best if its painted. Sometimes I'll just add a clear polyurethane to it, but never stain it. I'm guessing stain will get really blochy. But regulary poly looks pretty good (I use that for work surfaces).

For painting, I'd use some primer. The edges will need to be primed several times because it does soak up the paint. What I would do is paint edges with primer first with a paint brush. Then sand it down after it dries. Then prime the whole thing again, and lightly sand. Then apply your paint.

I've seen some people use a glue sizing. They basically mix white glue with water so its about the consistency of whole milk. Paint the edges and sand it down. Then it should be ready for paint. I doubt this process would work well with stain or poly.

• 2 years later...

I have used a lot of MDF in the past, I hate it now and rarely use it. I used to mix PVA glue with some water, about 70% glue to 30% water. I just sealed the edges with this, when dry a light sand with 320 and then a second coat. I then used to give two coats of acrylic paint leaving overnight between coats and then a coat of acrylic varnish and that was a good finish. When working with MDf it is very important to have good dust extraction and wear a mask, a proper one that is.