Commissioned Work Available

Travis

Hi All. I got this email from someone looking to commission some scroll work.  The email is below.  If you'd be interested in doing this, PM me your email address and I"ll forward it to the requester.  You'll be working directly with them to work out the details and compensation.

Thanks Y'all.

I was wondering if you could point me in the right direction? I'm looking to have a custom made scolled saw sign made for my church. I have been doing searches on google to see if someone has a business that can make this sign for me. I was hoping that you could recommend some folks that would be interested in taking this on, naturally I have to get several quotes.

we were looking to have a scrolled message "Faithful to Christ" , my Pastor is good with block type lettering but would consider cursive. we are looking to place the sign above our main entrance way. An approximate measurement would be 20" - 24" long wih letters being approximately 6" high, and the sign sanded smooth painted in satin black paint.

I would appreciate any help with this project

Travis, is this someone you know?? I ask because if they have the ability to seek out and find the scroll saw village.. I feel like they also have the same ability to look on etsy and other like site to get their quote from.. This message looks much like one that goes around spamming the handmade selling sites I sell on.... Not saying it's a scam.. but I find it odd that they ask you while they can also find many sigh shops not only local to them.. but also on Etsy or other sites.. why did they come here and ask?

The scammers are really getting tricky in their approaches.. and many times it's hard to tell if it's a real inquiry or a scam.. I shy away from these fishy type of deals that really don't make a lot of sense..

Possibly.  That is certainly something to keep in mind when working with someone new.  I don't know if it's legit or not.  But I have come across these in the past and they usually use words in a strange way and generic way.  This one actually used "Scrolled sawed sign" which sounds like they have something specific in mind.  They also had a proper company email address.

I'd certainly take precautions if anybody is interested.  Get the money up front.  You can also work through Etsy, which has a lot of nice safeguards in place.  Don't do one of those "I have $200 cashiers check, take what you need and send me the change" scams.  :huh:

Kevin, I truly doubt that this one is a scam, and I don't know how it could be. As long as you get the money for the cost of materials up front, how can they scam you? All you would be out is your time, and you could sell the sign to someone else to cover the price of the time you spent on it. I always get the cost of materials covered, before I start the project. And I always wait to be paid, before the customer gets the project. It's very hard to get scammed when you do a deal like I do. I always get all the money owed in my hand, before the customer gets the project. I've never been scammed by doing things this way, I was before I started doing this. And I no longer take personal checks, it's just to easy to loose money doing that. With the Square and others on the go now, there's absolutely no reason you can't get the same as cash on the spot.

Len

Edited by Lucky2