When is small too small

malc

If it's hard wood i save 1"x 1" as i want to do and eagle and there's going to be alot of small feathers smaller than that and progressively get bigger.If it's 1/8" i save 2" x 3" for cheap intarsias.3" x4" for card puzzles. and 2" x5" for steve goods door mouses.I quit looking for free wood now that i 'm learning to do intarsia as all sizes work out well now. :)

I keep alot of small pieces, until I run out of room. I do alot of intarsia and as long as there is a chance I can get a piece out of it I will keep it. I don't keep much under 2 inches though. You never know when you're going to need that one little piece. Once my scrap bin begins to overflow I'll go through it and get rid of some.

For tiny pieces, you might want to consider shaping them into geometric shapes on the sander and donating them to a preschool or kindergarden. Not only can they use the pieces to build and stack which helps fine motor skills, but they can even learn how to sort based on color or grain. If nothing else, the kids would be thrilled to use them in some art projects.

I save alot scrap pieces(from fretwork , small pieces ,and when removing pattern the tape and paper) in the plastic shopping bags you get at stores . When full I tie it shut and use them when I go camping or a fire outside for Fire starter Just lay it in the pit open the bag wood nice and dry . Other scraps like Maple , Cherry , etc , etc are used in the smoker or grill to add to the flavor . YUMMeeeee

Now just starting into Intarsia I can see were small pieces would be of use .

David