LED Circline Magnifier Light Bulb

kmmcrafts

Okay.. Not sure if I had mentioned about me breaking a blade on my old Hawk 220 and the upper arm comes up higher on it than my other Hawk so long story short.. it hit the florescent bulb and busted it..

There was another thread a while back about mag lights and it was mentioned about LED replacements for those circle florescent bulbs.. anyway I did a little research and found that many of them need certain starter ballast either electronic or Magnetic.. I couldn't find any info as to what I have in my light fixture.. ran across this bulb on eBay.. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-inch-Circline-T9-daylight-LED-relamps-fluorescent-FC8T9-bulb-without-rewiring/222261066257?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It came in the mail today.. and I have to say it's awesome bright... instant on.. etc etc.. Was a little more money than I was looking to spend since the florescent bulb is only about $6 - 8 and there are other LED's that are cheaper.. if you can figure out what ballast you have.. etc.. 

The color temp was a lower number than my old light.. but it's still much brighter.. I know this because I have a few more of the same mag lights on my other saws..

Anyway.. just thought I'd share my experience with this bulb.. might have to consider replacing the other bulbs.. if this bulb proves to last a while.. Those old florescent's take a while to get bright out in the cold..   

I like a light fixture that has replaceable bulbs.. Guess I'm weird in that but.. I just think it's a waste to produce a LED light that doesn't have the ability to change the bulb.. which most of them are like that... A friend bought a few shop lights a year ago.. they had a 5 year warranty.. and the bulb stopped in two of the 4-5 e bought just a few weeks ago. I bought 4ft. LED bulbs to put in my florescent shop light fixtures  a couple years ago.. still going strong.. when a bulb quits. I just replace the bulb instead of replacing the whole thing..

I need to buy one more mag light to put on my Excalibur.. I think I'm going to buy another one of the harbor freight ones but put these LEDs in them.. still cheaper than the actual LED mag lights and if the bulb stops.. I won't need to throw the whole thing in the trash..LOL    

• 1 month later...

I thought i'd update this..  a week ago I purchased another LED replacement bulb for my other magnifier light.. The link below is the one I bought.. I was quite excited to see this locally and at the price because the other one was double this cost.. However this cheaper light is bright.. the color temp is cool and gives off a yellowish color tone that I don't care for nearly as much as I like the other more $$ light from this original thread topic.. I still have one more light I want to swap over to the LED and I plan to buy another one from the link in the first post.. 

Just not as happy with cool white color temp.. like it said.. it's bright and I'll use it.. but the more expensive one is much better to use..

So if you like the bright daylight style lights.. don't buy the one in this link.. get the one I mentioned above

https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/light-bulbs/led-light-bulbs/meridian-22w-equivalent-general-purpose-cool-white-8-circular-led-light-bulb/13144/p-1463764639381-c-7482.htm?tid=4568103942767000130&ipos=165 

I have two lighted magnifier lamps. One came with the Hegner that I bought used and the other I bought new from H/F. The one from Hegner is an older one and it uses a starter in order to start. The newer one from H/F doesn't use a starter. Can anybody tell me whether these replacement LED bulbs will work in either or both of my lamps?

Ray

I believe both my lights I put the led bulbs in have a starter. That said my old hawk saw came with a older light which I know has the starter. When I get back home either tonight or tomorrow I’ll try to check if the bulbs with in it. The two newer lights I have are from Menards but I think they are the same as the HF one. 

3 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Kevin. I'm going to order a couple of those bulbs and give them a try. 

Ray

Ray, after thinking about it.. are you sure the one light doesn't have a starter?..  My older light from Hawk has a starter that goes in from the outside of the ring.. the other two lights have the started but they are hidden kind of underneath the bulb.. not far from the electronics ( switch and bulb plug ).. It's not a very big starter thing.. Anyway.. the one I linked to in my first posting from ebay.. that was the brightest one.. I plan to order another of those.. On the listing it states that it will NOT work without the starter.. 

Also just to be sure.. check to see how many terminals are on the bulb you have.. they make these with either 2 or 4 terminals.. all of mine have the 4..

Another thing nice about the one from ebay.. The plug in part on the bulb swivels.. The other bulb does not.. and it doesn't fit as nicely into the fixture.. I read some reviews on some of the lights.. and there was complaints about that. so in your research keep that in mind..  

The led light I purchased both work in all three of my lights.. but like I said.. all three have the starters.. I'm betting yours might have it too just tucked back up under the bulb.. you'll see it once you unhook your bulb.. 

23 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Ray, after thinking about it.. are you sure the one light doesn't have a starter?..  My older light from Hawk has a starter that goes in from the outside of the ring.. the other two lights have the started but they are hidden kind of underneath the bulb.. not far from the electronics ( switch and bulb plug ).. It's not a very big starter thing.. Anyway.. the one I linked to in my first posting from ebay.. that was the brightest one.. I plan to order another of those.. On the listing it states that it will NOT work without the starter.. 

Also just to be sure.. check to see how many terminals are on the bulb you have.. they make these with either 2 or 4 terminals.. all of mine have the 4..

Another thing nice about the one from ebay.. The plug in part on the bulb swivels.. The other bulb does not.. and it doesn't fit as nicely into the fixture.. I read some reviews on some of the lights.. and there was complaints about that. so in your research keep that in mind..  

The led light I purchased both work in all three of my lights.. but like I said.. all three have the starters.. I'm betting yours might have it too just tucked back up under the bulb.. you'll see it once you unhook your bulb.. 

Kevin, I don't know for sure. I haven't looked that far into it. But it is not obvious like the older one from Hegner is. I do know that many of the newer flourescent bulbs have a starter bulb inside the light bulb itself. I think it's some sort of mercury thing if I remember right. I'll check mine out before ordering. My newest lamp came from H/F so I'm sure whatever was the cheapest to make is what I got. I'll let ya know.

Ray

11 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Kevin, I don't know for sure. I haven't looked that far into it. But it is not obvious like the older one from Hegner is. I do know that many of the newer flourescent bulbs have a starter bulb inside the light bulb itself. I think it's some sort of mercury thing if I remember right. I'll check mine out before ordering. My newest lamp came from H/F so I'm sure whatever was the cheapest to make is what I got. I'll let ya know.

Ray

Ray, I was just snooping around and found this light.. It's a little cheaper than the other one and I think it's the same bulb.. as the other ebay seller.... this shows the brand being nyledluminaries that is the same ebay name as the other seller.. Kind of guessing its the same light due to the name.. just different seller.. shows the same box that mine came in as well.. Only a couple bucks cheaper but hey.. it's a few bucks..

Here is the link to that one..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-inch-Circline-T9-6000K-Daylight-LED-Relamp-FLOUR-FC8T9-Bulb-w-o-Rewiring/273016883142?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

5 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

Ray, I was just snooping around and found this light.. It's a little cheaper than the other one and I think it's the same bulb.. as the other ebay seller.... this shows the brand being nyledluminaries that is the same ebay name as the other seller.. Kind of guessing its the same light due to the name.. just different seller.. shows the same box that mine came in as well.. Only a couple bucks cheaper but hey.. it's a few bucks..

Here is the link to that one..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-inch-Circline-T9-6000K-Daylight-LED-Relamp-FLOUR-FC8T9-Bulb-w-o-Rewiring/273016883142?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Thanks once again Kevin. You are a wealth of info.

Ray