Foot switch - deadman's switch?

new2woodwrk

I have both styles.. I honestly prefer the switch on switch off over the dead man style.. while the dead man style also has advantages for doing lot's of small detail cuts.. I find my leg / foot etc get's tired of holding down on the switch to keep the saw running on the larger cutouts.. My Hawks and Excalibur saws came with the deadman style.. so that is why I have that style.. but the one I purchased from Harbor Freight for my DeWalt years ago was a on - off style.. 

Maybe I like that style better because that is what I always used until 2 years ago when I bought my first Hawk? Not sure.. but this old leg / foot gets tired of holding down on the switch for me.. 

I use the "dead man" style.  Actually have never tried an "off/on" one.  If I stood up to scroll, I can see where the off/on would work better.  I may have to get one and try it.  I always figured I may not be able to locate the off/on switch with my foot, and I don't want to have to look away from my work with the saw running in a delicate area.  Maybe that is not a problem.

I always did and always use the dead man switch. I sit when scrolling. Rarely will I stand unless I am scrolling a huge project and then the center portion of my body which has many more layers of clothing on :) seems to get in the way. But still the dead man switch works for me. After awhile you do not think of it. Want to stop just take the foot off and if you need to just bump the saw no need to push on and off. 

I sit to scroll and use a deadman switch.  For me, an on/off switch doesn't have much advantage over just using the switch on the saw.  The deadman provides absolute control.  I do mostly fretwork, so I'm not running the saw for long periods of continuous operation.  Fretwork is a lot of stopping and starting, so the deadman switch is ideal for me.

9 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

I've been reading where many use a foot switch for their scrollsaw.

If you do, are you using a deadman's switch (press down to start, lift off to stop) or an on and off switch?

I tried a deadman's switch, but it was too much "thinking".

Thanks as always in advance

Yeah Jes bottom line, if you scroll sitting down the deadman type would be my recommendation.   If you do most of your scrolling standing the on/off type would be my recommendation.   Just for your information there is a design that can be used either way but it is not as comfortable to use in the deadman mode. 

I guess I just need a shorter stool... I sit while sawing, however because of the stand design of the Hawk.. I always feel like there is nowhere to put your legs.. and to reach the foot switch I have to set at the edge of the stool etc.. My deWalt I have the switch zip tied to the ledge near the bottom of the stand and I typically have one foot resting on the switch and the other on the bottom bar of the stool.. most comfortable sawing on the DeWalt.. 

I need a different set up for my Hawks and EX 21 and while typing this just realized I ordered a new office chair the other day.. when that comes in.. I may try this old one at the saw to see if that will work for me.. 

5 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

I guess I just need a shorter stool... I sit while sawing, however because of the stand design of the Hawk.. I always feel like there is nowhere to put your legs.. and to reach the foot switch I have to set at the edge of the stool etc.. My deWalt I have the switch zip tied to the ledge near the bottom of the stand and I typically have one foot resting on the switch and the other on the bottom bar of the stool.. most comfortable sawing on the DeWalt.. 

I need a different set up for my Hawks and EX 21 and while typing this just realized I ordered a new office chair the other day.. when that comes in.. I may try this old one at the saw to see if that will work for me.. 

I too use a bar stool and what I did is place a board across the bottom rails and lay the foot switch on that. My foot is now at a comfortable height.