Another saw blade question

OCtoolguy

I just tried using some of the FD UR blades and I think I like them. So far at least. I was just wondering if they are available by any other mfgr? Or something similar. Just want to explore all avenues. I think I will be buying more sizes. I got #5's in the sample pack. I was cutting some 5/16" BB and they seemed to do very well on my Dewalt saw.

Ray

2 minutes ago, ed martin said:

Thanks. That's where I got them before Mike retired. But, I was just wondering if any of the other mfgrs. made anything similar. I have looked at all the blade charts for Olson, and Pegas but so far, I don't see anything like the FD-UR blades. 

Ray

Ray,

FD blades are manufactured by Niqua in Germany.   The UR is my go to blade.

Here are links to blade info:

https://forum.scrollsawer.com/forum/scroll-saw/tools-and-blades/31121-niqua-and-flying-dutchman-blades  (Post #8 was made by Mike)

http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/ScrollSaw/ScrollSawParts/SS_BLADE_CHART_2-22-2013.pdf    (scroll down for info on FD Blades)

Larry 

Edited by JustLarry

If I were you, I'd buy their sample packs.. most of the blade manufactures offer packs of samples of different size blades.. When I was wanting to TRY the Pegas brand.. I ordered the ready made sample packs of each style blade style they offered except the spirals as I didn't even know they had spirals at the time.. from reverse tooth - the modified geometry ones.. This way I was able to try each blade style in several different sizes.. to see what works for me best.. It's a little bit of money up front doing this way.. but getting the best working blade for your type of scroll sawing will greatly improve your work and your fun of scroll sawing.

I do this because the different styles and brands are that much different.. ie where I used to use a FD  - UR #5 blade.. in the Pegas I can cut with the #3 MFGY blade.. Also when I drill the smaller holes for fine detail work.. the number 5 blade from Pegas won't fit in the hole as the #5 FD-UR will.. so the numbering system isn't really the same through all of the blade brands and styles..

#5 blade on 5/16 BB is pretty aggressive especially on the DeWalt and for someone just starting out.. bet you had a hard time in the tight turns with a blade like that one.. as you mentioned in my video how I do the tight corners with ease..   

12 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks. That's where I got them before Mike retired. But, I was just wondering if any of the other mfgrs. made anything similar. I have looked at all the blade charts for Olson, and Pegas but so far, I don't see anything like the FD-UR blades. 

Ray

other manufacturers of blades do make reverse tooth blades, but i cant say how they compare to FD blades as FD are all ive used.

i have read some about the blades that judy gale roberts is selling. it reads like they are a high quality blade and theres a couple different geometries to them

https://intarsia.com/collections/scroll-saw-blades/products/gold-blades-dozen?variant=33146093830

6 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

If I were you, I'd buy their sample packs.. most of the blade manufactures offer packs of samples of different size blades.. When I was wanting to TRY the Pegas brand.. I ordered the ready made sample packs of each style blade style they offered except the spirals as I didn't even know they had spirals at the time.. from reverse tooth - the modified geometry ones.. This way I was able to try each blade style in several different sizes.. to see what works for me best.. It's a little bit of money up front doing this way.. but getting the best working blade for your type of scroll sawing will greatly improve your work and your fun of scroll sawing.

I do this because the different styles and brands are that much different.. ie where I used to use a FD  - UR #5 blade.. in the Pegas I can cut with the #3 MFGY blade.. Also when I drill the smaller holes for fine detail work.. the number 5 blade from Pegas won't fit in the hole as the #5 FD-UR will.. so the numbering system isn't really the same through all of the blade brands and styles..

#5 blade on 5/16 BB is pretty aggressive especially on the DeWalt and for someone just starting out.. bet you had a hard time in the tight turns with a blade like that one.. as you mentioned in my video how I do the tight corners with ease..   

Yes, you are so right. I had a tough time with the tight and circular turns. Many screwups. So, what you are saying is, I should be using a smaller blade like a FD-UR 3? I don't have that size. It didn't come in the sample pack. Everything is that pack is a #5. I asked this question because I want to order some more blades but before doing that, I wanted to find out if that same type blade was made by any of the other mfgrs. I will get hold of Mike's and order some smaller blades in the UR configuration. Thanks.

Ray

18 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

Yes, you are so right. I had a tough time with the tight and circular turns. Many screwups. So, what you are saying is, I should be using a smaller blade like a FD-UR 3? I don't have that size. It didn't come in the sample pack. Everything is that pack is a #5. I asked this question because I want to order some more blades but before doing that, I wanted to find out if that same type blade was made by any of the other mfgrs. I will get hold of Mike's and order some smaller blades in the UR configuration. Thanks.

Ray

I haven't ordered FD blades in over a year.. but they used to have a sample pack of the FD-UR that came with 6? blades of each size of the UR blades.. Anyone know do they still offer these sample packs? You'd get a #1, #3 #5 #7 I believe it was 6 of those each size.. same with the other style blades they offer such as the SR ( Scroll Reverse ) and probably the spirals etc.. get the sample packs. not the dozen packs of each size..as that can get expensive.. When Mike was alive and running the business.. he'd send you a couple blades free of charge to try.. if he didn't have the sample packs or if you needed a specific blade to try.. that is how he became the king of blades and why FD blades got so popular..

Edited by kmmcrafts

44 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I haven't ordered FD blades in over a year.. but they used to have a sample pack of the FD-UR that came with 6? blades of each size of the UR blades.. Anyone know do they still offer these sample packs? You'd get a #1, #3 #5 #7 I believe it was 6 of those each size.. same with the other style blades they offer such as the SR ( Scroll Reverse ) and probably the spirals etc.. get the sample packs. not the dozen packs of each size..as that can get expensive.. When Mike was alive and running the business.. he'd send you a couple blades free of charge to try.. if he didn't have the sample packs or if you needed a specific blade to try.. that is how he became the king of blades and why FD blades got so popular..

Thanks Kevin. I'll check that out. When I bought the sample pack, it came with 5 different configurations and if I recall a dozen of each. That's how I ended up with the UR blades that I have. I like these because they have the reverse teeth the entire length of the blade. They don't seem to try to "lift" the wood off the table like the other reverse blades do.

Ray

6 hours ago, octoolguy said:

Thanks Kevin. I'll check that out. When I bought the sample pack, it came with 5 different configurations and if I recall a dozen of each. That's how I ended up with the UR blades that I have. I like these because they have the reverse teeth the entire length of the blade. They don't seem to try to "lift" the wood off the table like the other reverse blades do.

Ray

To each his own.I'll cut with what ever i have!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!