New on and off system for the Wen

new2woodwrk

One thing I can't seem to remember is to turn on my dust system when I start using a machine

I currently have 2 dust systems setup .

One is my HF 2 hp dust machine hooked up to my table saw and work benches.

The other system is my Rigid shop vac with a dust deputy hooked up to my mobile tool carts.

To solve my problem, I added these Remote Switches to both units.

This way I can turn on/off either system no matter where I am in the shop or at which tool.

I mention this because, the power switch for the Wen is under the table, and since I've added a zero insert (piece of plywood lol) to the top of the table, it's even more difficult to get to the power switch.

I'm now hooking one of these switches up to my Scroll saw, and placing the remote on top of the arm.

This makes it much easier to turn the saw on and off when I need - for fretwork, blade changes etc.

Heck I even have one of these switches to turn on/off my rope lights in my Lanai!

1 hour ago, new2woodwrk said:

One thing I can't seem to remember is to turn on my dust system when I start using a machine

The other system is my Rigid shop vac with a dust deputy hooked up to my mobile tool carts.

This way I can turn on/off either system no matter where I am in the shop or at which tool.

I mention this because, the power switch for the Wen is under the table, and since I've added a zero insert (piece of plywood lol) to the top of the table, it's even more difficult to get to the power switch.

I'm now hooking one of these switches up to my Scroll saw, and placing the remote on top of the arm.

This makes it much easier to turn the saw on and off when I need - for fretwork, blade changes etc.

Heck I even have one of these switches to turn on/off my rope lights in my Lanai!

We use a couple of those at Christmas time to turn our outside lights off and on.

Ray

9 hours ago, new2woodwrk said:

Creature comforts ,What ever works for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My hubby had installed something similar in the shop for turning on/off the shop vacuum until I had the bright idea to add an Amazon Alexa Dot to the shop.  Now we have it setup so we can use voice commands with Alexa to turn the shop vacuum off and on.  Eliminates having to track down the remote control that someone else moved and left in a different spot! ;)

My shop is 120 sq ft. and I have a shopvac air cleaner which I turn on when I start sawing and a 2 gal shopvac under my saw to collect sawdust at my DW788 I have it plug in to my foot peddle  it turns on when I start sawing and off when I stop the saw and it works fine in my small shop.

IKE

6 hours ago, meflick said:

My hubby had installed something similar in the shop for turning on/off the shop vacuum until I had the bright idea to add an Amazon Alexa Dot to the shop.  Now we have it setup so we can use voice commands with Alexa to turn the shop vacuum off and on.  Eliminates having to track down the remote control that someone else moved and left in a different spot! ;)

Glad it works for you

But Oh, that is never going to happen in my house LOL

All I need is for Amazon to be listening in to everything I say - yeah right, just like I'm going to give them a key to my house so they can make deliveries easier LOL yeah right!

Well, only thing they are going to hear in the shop is power tools and the shop vac so I hope they have ear coverings to reduce the noise. ;) and no, I wouldn't be giving them a key to house for package delivery either, but then, I also live in an area that they can safely leave the package on my porch even if I am not home and it's still there when I get back. :)

2 hours ago, meflick said:

Well, only thing they are going to hear in the shop is power tools and the shop vac so I hope they have ear coverings to reduce the noise. ;) and no, I wouldn't be giving them a key to house for package delivery either, but then, I also live in an area that they can safely leave the package on my porch even if I am not home and it's still there when I get back. :)

Lol - they'd hear a lot more than that in my shop...

*&^$%@#$- "Just broke a blade!"

"Ouch *&^%$## that hurt"

"Wheres that $#%&#*#%^$#* pencil"

LOL and so much more :)

I like the alexa idea, meflick. my shop is only 400 sq. ft. & rented. I've got cords carefully run as short a distance as possible to my big tools, & they stay plugged in. But my scroll saws & other small power tools are unplugged, & the cords rolled up until I need them. It makes for a real pita at times because my scroll saws are the most used in the shop, but I don't have electrical sockets to catch everything.

I've got all my smaller electric tools in Craftsman tool bags under my project table on a shelf I built for them & my air nailers, which i keep in their cases. But both my lathes, drill press, table saw, planer, disc/belt sander, router table, jointer, & my radial arm saw have constant power. 

But I like the alexa idea! I may have to give that one some thought!