Why multiple saws?

new2woodwrk

I just look for deals too good to pass up. At some point, I'll have to sell something. I still would like a Hawk and an Ex-21. Then I can really see the difference. Not that I ever cut much. Someday, I'm going to get away from the computer and go out to my shop. Someday.

Ray

I had as many as 3 for a while, now down to just the one. I had the extras "just because". I had gotten used hegnar, but did't have the time to put in some maintenance to really make it sing, so I kept my old one. Then I got a deal on an Excalibur so I had 3. I had the room in my shop at the time so I would use them all depending on my mood. I sold the Hegnar at one point and then later got rid of the old porter cable when I got divorced and didn't have the room. 

I had a Delta P20 and it was a very good saw but they quit supporting it so I gave that one to my grandson.   It was still in good working order but I was concerned about being able to get replacement parts.   I now have a Hegner Multi-Max 22v and a old craftsman I bought at a garage sale for $25.00 for a backup.  If my Hegner goes down and I need to finish a project before I get it up and running the Craftsman will do in a pinch.   I have a small shop so I don't have room for more scroll saws.   If I find a good deal on a better backup saw I would replace the Craftsman. 

Yeah, I'm with Scrappile, I like playing with saws, and enjoy figuring out how to efficiently operate each of them.  There is no rational justification.  To myself, I can always say, "well at least I don't have near as many as Rick Hutchinson.

Edited by hotshot

The price made me buy them. My 226 came about because I needed a larger saw than the 220 for the projects such as my mirrors and shelves I was making at the time. Now it is my backup.  The Dewalt fell in my lap so to speak. Would never had bought it but deals a deal. The Hegner was a deal I could not pass up at a woodworking show. and had that before the RBIs . Have that now for my angle cutting. Had a dremel before that but sold that for a few $$$. 

Please do not ask how many routers I have. Lost count for sure.

I buy saws when I find an awesome deal on them... not every saw I find a good deal on but.. LOL I had been using my DeWalt for a few years when it got pretty noisy and was picking up some minor vibration.. this all took place during he busy holiday season.. I took it apart and cleaned up grease etc and added fresh grease while taking note of the numbers on the bearings.. I was able to get through the busy part before replacing worn bearings etc.. Ran the saw for several more years.. and I kept a watch out for a bargain.. that's when I found my first Hawk 220VS for $100.. was said to be barely used... me not knowing anything about Hawks and the way the guy had it set up on uneven floor etc. I did test it but it was shaking rocking etc.. long story short and adding a couple hundred I finally got it running awesome.. Then I found an awesome deal on my Hawk 226 Ultra.. still packaged in the original box $400 couldn't pass that up.. Always wanted to try an Excalibur.. what showed up on Craigslist at a good deal? EX-21 still boxed $360..I only buy saws that I want to try.. Hegner is next on my list..LOL..

So I buy because it's a deal and I want to try that brand / type saw. with the intent to sell if I hate it.. as I get a good enough deal I can at least get my money back.. That said.. I like all the saws.. I most likely will be selling my first Hawk.. That one I'm pretty certain I won't get my dollar value back out of it.. I pretty much rebuilt the whole saw and added upgrades to the air hose and front tension mechanism is upgraded to the new BM style upper clamp etc.. I have about $350 into that saw.. and they seem to only bring 200 -350.. That said as for learning experience about Hawks etc.. and all the projects I've made with it..I've got my money out of it in that aspect..

As busy as my little business has become.. I plan to keep at least 2 good running saws.. at all times.. so 3-4 saws is probably what I will always have

Oh, my 5th saw is a old Delta 2 speed saw that my dad bought new.. I don't really use it anymore.. but will always keep it as there is sentimental value with that one..

Well, to be honest - for mosts of us - it is an addiction. ;)  For me, I am a tech junkie.  If I had room for them all - I would want to try them all.  ;):lol::sad:

We have three in the "building" but only two are plug-in and can be used.The Dewalt is sitting in the garage and I am trying to decide what to do about it.  I hate to let it go to be honest.  Why? I don't know.  It's an addiction like I said! :oops:  We originally bought the Dewalt years and years ago now (it's a type 1 - built in Canada - little use so still a good saw.)  I had hubby buy it when my kids were little but when I couldn't cut a straight line with it, I quickly grew frustrated and walked away.  (Patience is not one of my virtues.)  Kids were my priority and took me until they were both in college and the death of my mom not quite two years ago to bring me back to trying the saw.  So that was probably about 15-18 years ago that saw was bought.  When I started again right after my mom died, I had the internet and found Steve Good's blog, videos, and patterns, the SSWC magazine and its forum, and found the Village here.  That helped me figure out many things - including how to cut a straight line. ;):lol: I was interested in learning to do Intarsia work so took classes at Judy Gale Roberts studio.  A world renowned Intarsia artist and pattern maker who essentially lives in my backyard. Who knew!  Taking the classes there I got to use an Excalibur saw.  I really liked that saw. Much more then my Dewalt. I felt it cut better then my Dewalt. (Maybe it was everybody on here talking about what a great saw it was.)  When  I found a used one (and it was purple, like I used at Judy's and my favorite color :smitten: (that's a good reason to buy a saw isn't it?)), I bought it. That gave me two saws.  Two saws were good, one table tilts, one the head tilts so I could justify keeping both and hubby made room for both in HIS workshop. :smitten:  Then, as previously explained - he bought me the Seyco saw.  Really not room for all 3 in HIS shop, so I pulled the Dewalt out to put the Seyco in.  He keeps asking me what I am going to do with the Dewalt but I don't know.   I can justify having two in there - one is a "backup" as so many others have claimed. Plus, as we noted previously - the Seyco doesn't tilt as much as the Excalibur - reason enough to keep them both isn't it?!?!?!? :oops: Now - if I could find a Hegner and a Hawk at a steal of a deal - I would want those too but could never explain that to my hubby. :sad: Plus, I figure that I cannot recover that much $ if I sold the saw so just keep it. Plus,  did I say I was a tech junkie?!?!? I keep hoping someone else in the family might want to learn to use the saw so I could "save" the Dewalt by giving it to them. :D

Edited by meflick

I got 2.Ex16, the reason is we are snowbirds so I did not want to move my saw with me but I need to keep busy for the 3 or 4 months south during the winter. I found a used Ex16 for a very good price soI bought it and she came with me in Florida. So happy scroller when I am in the South, wife can go at the beach andI can make sawdust.

I have 2 EX-21's. One for winter use in the basement and one in the garage for summer use. Garage isn't heated, and MN summers are too short to be hanging out in the basement. I also have a Type 1 DeWalt, but I promised that to a nephew  I'm looking  into buying either a Hegner or a Hawk.  Why? Because Iike the others are saying, it's an addiction.

Each of us works in different ways.  I have one scroll saw, but 5 routers and am considering a 6th.  I've accumulated over 2 dozen hand planes for some reason.  When I bought my EX-21 a couple years ago, I considered keeping my Dewalt.  Frankly if I had more room in my shop, it would have been a no brainer.  But being space constrained and having a willing buyer within the extended family, made it an easy decision to sell it.

Bottom line is most of us have multiples of certain tools because we can. 

I've got 3 I use, but I have 5. My Hawk Bm 26 is my workhorse. Nearly everything is done on him. I've got a Hitachi CW - 40 I use & I keep a #5 blade in it. I've also got a 16" Craftsman. It's the back up. 
I've got a hardware store breed saw set up when my for when my bride takes a notion to saw. & the single speed Craftsman in pieces I learned on. 

It is addiction! But frustrating when you're in the middle of a project & have a breakdown!:

I have 2 saws.  One is a Hegner Multi-Max2, which was the original saw that I learned on. The other is an older Delta 20" variable speed saw that a friend gave to me recently because he never used it. I stuck it in the corner of my shop because when I first looked at it, the table was rusty and it was covered with dust, so I thought it was just a boat anchor.  However, I started doing work with thin material and was wishing I had variable speed on the Hegner when I remembered the Delta.  I dug it out, cleaned it all up, and discovered it actually worked okay. So now, I have both saws set up and ready to use for what the project calls for.  Also, like many others here have said, "One can never have too many tools!" :)

I only have one. I certainly don't do enough scrolling to warrant having two or more. If you make your living with that skill, that's different, but as a someone who scrolls (woodworks) as a hobby....I can't afford the space or to tie up the cash having a saw sitting around collecting dust. My wife and I have been trying to divest of "stuff" we don't use so when we pass-on the kids won't have to do it. 

On 2/7/2018 at 3:30 PM, new2woodwrk said:

Sorry I've asked so many questions lately - one more then I'll stop....

Why do some of you have multiple saws?

Are they each for a specific purpose or do you just keep upgrading and keep the old one?

Thanks in advance

Back up's ,spare parts on hand,i keep 10 Dewalt 788's on hand just for that reason.i got them 1 at a time on craigs list for low low prices.A motor is over $200. and i can buy used complete saws for that much or less.