Strange Question

rdatelle

Hi everyone. I have a question for you all. I ordered some Ambrosia blocks which were 4 x 4 x 2. I want to make a few bird houses out of some of it. Well when I received it I noticed that it was all coated in wax which I never seen done before.  Has anyone run into this problem and how did you get it off. I was able to run one block through my table saw and and shave a little off each side. All comments welcome. 

Actually I have found that common with blocks of wood like bowl blanks and such.  I have several blanks that have been waxed.  I think it is to help keep them from drying and cracking.  Cutting/turning it off is what I have always done.  I suppose a scrapper would get a lot of it.

Edited by Scrappile

The wax is to stabilize the moisture in the block.  Quick changes in humidity will crack the wood, especially if it's being transported from other countries.  Its pretty common practice with turning blanks.  4x4x2 sounds like a bowl blank size.

With woodturning, that would get cut away during shaping.  Not sure about with scroll sawing.  I'd try scraping it with a putty knife then sanding.  See if that helps.  Maybe heat gun and paper towels.  But I'd be afraid the wax would seep into the pours.

A word of caution. As has been  stated, the wax is applied to wet wood to slow down drying so the wood does not check or split. What this means is the wood may not be as dry as kiln dried wood would be. As wood dries, it may develop checks and may distort. Hopefully, this won't happen if the wood was dry enough.

Good point Dan. When I cut blanks for pen in wood with a moisture content of 20% or higher I seal the ends with latex paint and put them in the dehydrator for about 8 hours. The wood is thin enough to get the moisture our with little if any twisting and no cracks. I never thought about this for larger blanks.

BTW, I have a separate dehydrator I use for my beef jerky. 

7 hours ago, rdatelle said:

Hi everyone. I have a question for you all. I ordered some Ambrosia blocks which were 4 x 4 x 2. I want to make a few bird houses out of some of it. Well when I received it I noticed that it was all coated in wax which I never seen done before.  Has anyone run into this problem and how did you get it off. I was able to run one block through my table saw and and shave a little off each side. All comments welcome. 

Wish I had some scraps!