Clean and Lube Blade Clamp Thumbscrews

kmmcrafts

With all the talk lately about blade clamps and threads stripping out etc etc.. 

Do any of you clean and lube the threads on your machines?

Maybe a year or so after I bought my 788 I noticed the screws was catching / binding a bit.. I took them out and cleaned the treads with brake cleaner or carb cleaner on both the clamp and the thumb screw.. then gave the screw a drop of light oil.. wiped off the excess worked it in and out a few times and it got much smoother working.. I now do this as regular maintenance.. Maybe why I haven't had any issues with my clamps? I don't know.. but sure didn't hurt them.. Just be sure not to get any oil on the ends where the blade is clamped.. If you do then even pliers probably won't tighten it enough to keep from slipping LOL..

If you do get oil on the end.. spray a towel or rag with the cleaner and just wipe the tips in the soaked cleaner a couple times..  

8 minutes ago, Scrappile said:

After cleaning I put a little dab of "Anti-seize" on the threads of the screws before reinstalling them.

I also use anti-seize compound on the screw treads. I put it on using a toothpick - just a very small amount then wipe it around the treads with a paper towel or rag.  Too much will let the screws come loose while sawing - yes I did this.

The anti-seize is made for use on steel bolts that screw into aluminum to prevent the steel treads from cutting into the aluminum treads.   

The tip of the screw that contacts the blade on the 788 and several other models can be removed for cleaning also.  It is designed so the screw rotates within the tip and not against the blade.  There is an o ring on the screw that holds the tip on.  Pull it off, clean out the gunk and a very little oil and put tip back on.  

I clean the screws and tip area with a cloth dampened with denatured alcohol.

Larry

Never did it. I have sanded the ends where the blade touches because sometimes they build up with oil. Even though I sand every end of my blades front and back with the metal on metal action it can become slippery. I suppose it can't hurt to clean. I would use the same stuff I use on my tablesaw, http://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

13 hours ago, kmmcrafts said:

With all the talk lately about blade clamps and threads stripping out etc etc.. 

Do any of you clean and lube the threads on your machines?

Maybe a year or so after I bought my 788 I noticed the screws was catching / binding a bit.. I took them out and cleaned the treads with brake cleaner or carb cleaner on both the clamp and the thumb screw.. then gave the screw a drop of light oil.. wiped off the excess worked it in and out a few times and it got much smoother working.. I now do this as regular maintenance.. Maybe why I haven't had any issues with my clamps? I don't know.. but sure didn't hurt them.. Just be sure not to get any oil on the ends where the blade is clamped.. If you do then even pliers probably won't tighten it enough to keep from slipping LOL..

If you do get oil on the end.. spray a towel or rag with the cleaner and just wipe the tips in the soaked cleaner a couple times..  

With the thumb screw out a Q-tip with solvent clean it up good.

I use denatured alcohol to clean the threads of my blade holders, then I use just a little bit of graphite on the threads. I've never had any issues with doin' it like this. I sand the end of the tightener in the blade holder when blades begin to slip, or the end of it gets smooth. 

I also use an air hose & blow out the blade holders ever so often just to keep them clean, & make sure the blade bottoms out in the bottom blade holder.