Just My Experience with Shelf Liner

Scrappile

I just finished a detail picture (Burrowing Owls) using 1/4" Basswood.  I used the peal and stick shelf liner, clear.  It worked fine as far as no lifting while scrolling, but when it came time to remove the pattern, that was a different matter.  Took me over two hours to get it off, having to work very slowly and cautiously.  In several places the paper would come off but the liner was still stuck.  Really hard to see it because it is clear and much thinner than tape.  I Only saw it was still there when I held the picture up to the light and the light would reflect in it.  I finally got it off without losing anything, so I sanded the picture as I always do, and gave it a bath in MS/BLO.  It has been sitting for three days drying.  I picked it up today to look shelf it over before applying Deft over it and under the light I can see residue from the liner that I could see or feel before.  Not sure what I will do now.  Guess sand again.  I don't think I will use shelf liner again on a detailed picture.  If I do, I will try some colored liner,  Not sure why it has to be clear.  

All I am saying here is, yes it works, but on real detailed pictures, and soft wood, like Basswood, I for one will go back to the blue tape.  I will still use the shelf liner in other cuttings.

Edited by Scrappile

Hmmm. I use only contact brand recommended by Kathy wise. She say only use contact brand. I find the opposite problem. Also using it on bass wood. I notice it lifts while cutting not very bad I still use it but the more detailed the more it lifts I keep scotch tape with me but it’s a PIA. But the contact shelf liner peels off a finished product very easy. I guess it’s the lesser of two evils the only way to decide would be try for yourself but it’s another option anyway. 

Another thing is to try heat gun but that seems to leave some glue residual behind. When I peel with no heat it doesn’t leave any glue behind.

ur probably wondering why is he heating it to get it off when he’s saying it comes off very easy. I just wanted to try it to see how it would work out. I do like the shelf liner but I can’t say it doesn’t have its issues it peels up for me at times.

Edited by Brianr24

Everyone has there own way of doing things. I don't use anything under the pattern because I hate having to remove all the little bits around the frets as Paul described. I do use clear packing tape on top of the pattern. The pattern and tape come off easily with heat from a heat gun. If you don't have a heat gun you can use a hair drier. if the heat gun is problematic, I'll spray the pattern with mineral sprits. Let it sit for a few minitues. The pattern will just pull right off. Then with a clean rag, wipe off the mineral spirits.

Edited by dgman

Makes me wonder if you 

a) got a bad batch of liner

b) had it on the project for months

c) have a different brand that what has been used

I have used the shelf liner for about 5-6 years now.. never once had any issues as you mentioned other than with packing tape when left for several weeks..

Now.. I ave used both.. con-tact and duck brand.. I did have a batch of ( believe it was con-tact ) that was quite sticky but nothing like you mentioned.. not sure if it was an older roll or if it had got set in the sunlight or something that heated / melted it on.. because it was only on one project that did that.. and the rest of the roll was fine.. I have windows in my shop and the sun shines in just right sometimes will shine right on my saw table.. which is what I speculate may have caused my issue.. 

1 hour ago, Dan said:

Thanks for that info Paul. I was wondering about the liner and how it would stick and whether it would leave residue. I have done any fretwork or portraits using the liner yet. I'm also curious what happens if you leave it on for several months. 

I have not read of anyone else complaining about residue, in fact just the opposite.  That is. why I was surprised.  Maybe I put it on to hard, I used a veneer roller to go over it to remove all air bubbles and any wrinkles.

8 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Makes me wonder if you 

a) got a bad batch of liner

b) had it on the project for months

c) have a different brand that what has been used

I have used the shelf liner for about 5-6 years now.. never once had any issues as you mentioned other than with packing tape when left for several weeks..

Now.. I ave used both.. con-tact and duck brand.. I did have a batch of ( believe it was con-tact ) that was quite sticky but nothing like you mentioned.. not sure if it was an older roll or if it had got set in the sunlight or something that heated / melted it on.. because it was only on one project that did that.. and the rest of the roll was fine.. I have windows in my shop and the sun shines in just right sometimes will shine right on my saw table.. which is what I speculate may have caused my issue.. 

"Duck Peel & Stick" from Walmart is what I have.  I Started scrolling the day I  put it on and it was on about a week.  Could, like I said, have something to do with the soft Basswood....(?).  I have done other projects, not detailed fret work, using it and had no problem.  I am just not sure I want to chance it on something I spent a week or more and many hours on.  Other things I will keep using it.

Edited by Scrappile

I have just started using the shelf liner.  Already went through a roll of clear.  The only trouble I've had is using it on BB. For me it lifts and splinters the grain every time I use it on that type of wood. Maybe because its porous, just like bass wood? I do agree with you Paul, it is hard to see.  Just recently, and mistakenly, I  bought a roll of white shelf paper, (Duck Brand), and it seems to work as good as the clear. Could be in my head though, haven't used It enough. 

2 hours ago, OPi said:

One advantage of the clear is, if there is a flaw in the wood like a knot or something else you don't want in your project, you can see it before you attach the pattern. Cover with blue tape and you have to guess. Not really a big deal any way you look at it. 

Agreed

18 minutes ago, JackM said:

I haven't used shelf liner, usually use blue tape on 1/8"BB for fret work.  Sand the wood with 220 grit, spray with two shots of shellac and apply the tape.I find that this stops the wood from lifting when tape is removed.  Have removed tape that sat for a year without a problem.

Jack

That's a neat idea! Never though of that. Plus, 99% of my BB projects are finished with shellac. Thanks Jack!

due to "life" i had to leave a pattern on a project about 6 weeks before it was completed. the issue i had was more the stretching of the liner as i removed it from 1/8th birch plywood. it was a pain but came off clean.

same time frame using 1/16" luan and the shelf paper tore out lots of fibers as i removed it. this happened with both time and detailed fret work. but luan is cheap enough i add sacrificial pieces on top and bottom but luck out most times and am able to use the bottom with some detailed sanding.

I used to use the blue painters tape, but had too many problems with it lifting splinters off the wood, so I switched to just applying the pattern directly to the wood and to remove I put a light coat of Mineral spirits on a rag and wiping over the pattern.  It comes right off.  Don't know about the whole shelf liner thing, seems like an unnecessary expense to me.  Then again you have to go with what works best for you.