jewelry box

Clayton717

My youngest daughter has moved away to college and asked me to make her a box. She wanted a box to keep money in. The reason being she won't be 18 till next month and want to wait to open a bank account then. She has one here at home but the bank isn't there where she is. So she wants to keep her money hidden from her roommates until she visits us or opens her own account. That being said.

I wanted to make a box that looked a little better than just a square chunk of wood with a lock, besides she's my baby it had to look good. So I came up with this. The box is made from oak. Overall it is 10" long 5 1/2" deep and 5" tall. The dark streak on the front is a stain in the wood no matter how much I sanded it just wouldn't come out.

The rose intarsia on top is made from 3/8" material - aromatic red cedar(rose), green poplar(leaves), and cherry(stem). all natural no stain. I made an heart enclosure out of the cedar for the lock. The tray inside lifts out and has a "secret" compartment under it. The feet were made using the same profile I used on the lid and lower trim. Just mitered together at corners and put on upside down

THATS REAL NICE ,AND BEFORE I ENLARGED THE PICTURE I THOUGHT THE ROSE WAS INLAY.THE WAY YOU DID IT IT'S MORE PERSONAL.I MEAN EVERYTIME SHE GOES TO THE BOX THE ROSE FROM YOU WANTS TO JUMP INTO HER HAND,VERY VERY NICE TOUCHING EFFECT.PUTS DAD ON HER MIND IMMEDIATELY.I WAS WONDERING ABOUT THE LOCK AS I NEVER SEEN ONE LIKE THAN .ANOTHER INGENIOUS IDEA,TALK ABOUT SHE'S YOUR BABY ,IT SHOWS.EXCELLENT JOB! :)

Thanks Kevin and Paul. I sent her a picture of it on my phone but that was before I put the lock on it. and couldn't see the rose very well. She liked it from the picture and wanted me to bring it to her.(2+ hour drive).

I will surprise her with it when I show up at her door next weekend. She actually asked me to get her a box or something to keep her money in, but she knew "dad" would make her one instead of buying it.

• 1 month later...