Sit or Stand - do you have a preference?

new2woodwrk

So far I've only stood while scrolling.

I don't mind standing, but being an old fart I'm finding it fairly limiting in that I only do a few pieces during a session?

I don't have a sit down bench and don't really think I have any room to put one if I were to build one.

Do you prefer sitting or standing when you scroll?

Thanks in advance

When I first started scrolling, I stood.  Mainly because I didn't know any better and didn't have a decent chair to sit in, in the shop.  I built a stand for my 1st scroll saw and made it a comfortable height for scrolling while standing.  After awhile, I acquired a stool and tried sitting.  My stand was too tall, so I put the stool on a wooden platform to raise it up.  It was less than ideal.

Several years later I upgraded to a Dewalt, which came with a stand.  It was then that I committed fully to sitting while scrolling.  I was lucky enough to snag an an adjustable, swivel stool from work that was getting tossed out.  It needed some new upholstery and the back rest keeps working loose, but it is the ideal shop stool, for me.  I've been sitting ever since.  My stool has wheels, so I can move from the scroll saw to bench work easily and adjust the height as required.  Getting a good stool is the key.

For the life of me I don't know how anyone can stand and cut with a scrollsaw! That does not seem natural to me even though everyone stands to use a miter saw, table saw, band saw, etc. It just would not work for myself and that is the way I started, seating down on a stool than updating to an office chair or draftsman chair. At the time I knew of no other woodworker around the vicinity so I self taught myself and it was just natural to be seated.
Erv

Depends on what saw I'm using and how ambitious I feel.. At the DeWalt saw I sit.. the rest of the saws are missing the stool, LOL ... I do move the stool from saw to saw sometimes however the other saws are different height and the stool is too tall.. or maybe it's the saw is too short,  :) .. But to really answer the question.. I prefer to sit.. I just haven't adjusted the stands, foot peddle, and stools to make them work best for me.. but if I'm cutting for the whole day or something then I do move the stool.. but just playing around for a bit on one of the other saws.. I stand.... 

Like a lot of folks I started off standing. After a while I grabbed a bar stool and found it more comfortable. After a few customer complaints the bartender banned me from scrolling at his bar. :D OK, seriously I do have a shop stool that is adjustable that I use. 

I have to sit due to back problems.  I use a drafting stool, which is height adjustable and has wheels for rolling it from the scroll saw to the lathe to the workbench to the ..... I try to get the working height of all my tools the same to reduce the times I have to adjust the height of the stool.  I also like to sit fairly high to make getting on and off of the stool easier.

I sit in a barbers chair at the saw. I've got my BM 26 on casters. And I've got my CW 40 sittin' beside my chair, facin' me,  to the right, so all I have to do is turn my chair & lower it a little to use it. I've sit for 26 years, since I first started. Now, after two major back surgeries, there's no way I could stand! I have to sit to scroll.

But, with the casters on the Hawk, I can move it out of my way & get up & move around my meager little shop to get to the drill press, lathe, table saw, or whatever. 

I've got my shop set up so that if I'm workin' at the project table, or a piece of equipment, I have something to sit down on just in case these ol' legs decide they're goin' to let me hit the floor. And yes, it has happened. More than once. 

13 minutes ago, SCROLLSAW703 said:

I sit in a barbers chair at the saw. I've got my BM 26 on casters. And I've got my CW 40 sittin' beside my chair, facin' me,  to the right, so all I have to do is turn my chair & lower it a little to use it. I've sit for 26 years, since I first started. Now, after two major back surgeries, there's no way I could stand! I have to sit to scroll.

But, with the casters on the Hawk, I can move it out of my way & get up & move around my meager little shop to get to the drill press, lathe, table saw, or whatever. 

I've got my shop set up so that if I'm workin' at the project table, or a piece of equipment, I have something to sit down on just in case these ol' legs decide they're goin' to let me hit the floor. And yes, it has happened. More than once. 

Where'd you find the barber's chair? Sounds like a great idea.

Ray

well,  my shop used to be a beauty shop. So the folks that owned it still had one. But the the padding in the back is shot, & the seat is in really bad shape, so, the gal that does my brides' hair & nails had a brand new one she was tryin' to sell. It's a little smaller, hiegth wise, so I built a 3" platform under it to raise it to my hieght.

But check local barber shops, beauty shops etc. I just kept lookin' til I found one.