Just A Quick Video Me Cutting With A Spiral Blade

kmmcrafts

I recorded this a few days ago, and uploaded it to instagram.. if you're following me on there then don't bother watching it again LOL .. Just thought I'd put it on my youtube channel.. Nothing special.. just a 57 second cutting out one small section.. Was using a FD - NS #1 stack cutting only 2 pieces of 1/8" BB ply.. 

Grandad had an old van from the 50s, steering wheel had so much play you might mess your pants.  So spirals, I like "playing with them" and perhaps when I'm feeling a little on the wild side, I'll break them out again :-)  I just haven't found anything I couldn't do with the straight blades.  I like sharp corners, and control.  If I were doing huge fretwork pieces, Dearing style, then those blades suddenly start making a lot of sense.

10 hours ago, lawson56 said:

Thanks I really ejoyed it.You made it look so easy.I have tried them on several occasions.:cry:I guess I will stick with Regular blades.:)

I showed this to my brother ( also a woodworker and putz around in scroll work ) He said "hey isn't that cheating" LOL... I said depends on how you look at it.. It's nice not to have to spin the wood around.. especially something large.. but those blades like to take the path of least resistance.. and you find the soft spots in the wood real quick.. I'm not certain if it's really easier or not.. just a different method of cutting.. and I like to mix it up now and then.. helps keep my skills up..   

Thanks for posting the video Kevin.   I have found with a little practice FD new spirals are very useful.   I cut a lot of portraits almost exclusively with spiral blades.   Anyone that doubts the kind of fine detail that can be cut with precision with spirals only has to go look at some of Charles Dearing's videos on Youtube.   I prefer spirals for portraits I cut especially in 1/8 and 1/4 inch Baltic birch plywood, for one thing it saves a heck of a lot of twisting and turning the work piece. LOL  

3 hours ago, Sparkey said:

I use spiral blades most of the time. The main difference is I turn the wood just like you would using a flat blade.

I don't particularly like pushing the material to the left or right unless it is a short distance or it is so large I can't turn it, but pushing back or drawing it forward is fine.   So what I'm trying to say is I kind of use a spiral like you do Rusty.

On 2/22/2018 at 3:03 PM, kmmcrafts said:

I recorded this a few days ago, and uploaded it to instagram.. if you're following me on there then don't bother watching it again LOL .. Just thought I'd put it on my youtube channel.. Nothing special.. just a 57 second cutting out one small section.. Was using a FD - NS #1 stack cutting only 2 pieces of 1/8" BB ply.. 

Good thing about spirals is no constant turning with them.Nice video to show the tricks of the trade slow and easy with a spiral.!!!!!!!!!