A new record!

Iguanadon

For the worst event I've ever had!!!  LOL  For the record, I just got home and told my wife "If I ever tell you I'm thinking of signing up for some little festival or market, kick me in the testicular area as hard as you can and say "This is to remind you how painful it is to waste an entire day sitting around at an event not selling anything.""  LOL

Absolutely perfect weather today, great little venue... but a total bust.  Sold 10 puzzles and 9 of them were my cheap kids puzzles.  A horrible start to the year.  But I wanted to give this local organization a shot that arranges for various pop-up markets around the area.  I figured if it worked out, it would be nice to fit in whenever I didn't have something else going on.  Now I know... stick to the top events only, quit wasting my time with these little things.

OK, back to focusing on my big 2 day event in 5 weeks.

IMG_20180224_093511.jpg

IMG_20180224_093305.jpg

Unfortunately this can happen to anyone doing a show. Expect the worst going in, and sure enough ... I recall doing a show three hours away. Set up in a hotel display room and the event was even advertised. This was a two day ordeal, or should I say pure punishment because not a single person showed, Half way through the second day and I had it. Packed up and got out. Lesson learned. Yes Scott most people will have at least one bad show. Thank God it doesn't happen too often. All the best with your next showing.

This could be a good start of others that wish to chime in - MY WORST SHOW

1 hour ago, Ron Johnson said:

Unfortunately this can happen to anyone doing a show. Expect the worst going in, and sure enough ... I recall doing a show three hours away. Set up in a hotel display room and the event was even advertised. This was a two day ordeal, or should I say pure punishment because not a single person showed, Half way through the second day and I had it. Packed up and got out. Lesson learned. Yes Scott most people will have at least one bad show. Thank God it doesn't happen too often. All the best with your next showing.

This could be a good start of others that wish to chime in - MY WORST SHOW

I like it... MY WORST SHOW... let's hear your event disaster stories.  LOL

Edited by Iguanadon

Unfortunately you never know until you try!

Wife and I, when we first started in real estate in our new area used to do these monthly festivals - we still have our tent, our tables and all our display stuff which I hope to one day renew into selling these scrolling projects.

Anyway, we were the first and only real estate agents to do these festivals - after 2 weeks, suddenly there were 2 brokerages with tents giving away free wine and cheese. Of course we weren't giving away anything besides our information. But we had a much larger crowd - seemed everyone would go get their free wine then come to us for information LOL

This went on for a few weeks and after an entire summer season which included a 104 degree 4th of July festival in Florida the only thing we had to show for our trouble and investment was *drum roll please*

Zip, Nada, not a single new customer all summer!

Needless to say, we've not done a single festival in 11 years - but we have the tent ready for our new Scroll gifts business :)

49 minutes ago, 3Dface said:

our local town has "Tater Day" every year and i had thought about trying it with my scrolling. biggest problem is years ago my wife and i did a food cart. after the almost $400 space rent we made our money back and about $2hr each.

are there fees for all of the events you attend?

Yes, in my part of the country events cost anywhere from $10 to $250 for booth space.

Sorry to hear that Scott.  We have all had bad days or days when everyone really likes your product but just will not buy anything.  It gets very disheartening, particularly if you then see them buy some mass produced tat from a neighbours stall.  I had a couple of poor events in January (still July in Northern Hemisphere terms) and decided to give the markets a break for a while.  Then I heard of another new market where stalls were free while they tried to build a following.   Figuring I had nothing to lose, I went today for the first time.  Very small low key event with only 19 stalls but had a really good and profitable day.  Unfortunately there is only one more before things shut down for the winter but that gives me time to build inventory for next year. 

Chalk it up to experience and move on.  The Iggy world domination plan MUST NOT FAIL! :)

Rob

I have never set up a booth anywhere......all of my pocket change comes from word of mouth mainly ....I make a couple hundred things a year that people ask me for......make them on my own time mainly......Fall/Christmas is the busiest time for me...... I am constantly coming up with new designs ......personalized stuff is best......works 4 me

Don't write it off completely. When i was doing shows (back when the Earth was still cooling) the best show that I ever did was the Hatfield & McCoy reunion. Very nasty day rain, cool, slight wind. Don't remember the exact #s but somewhere over a grand. Next year at the same festival great weather sunny warm huge crowd Didn't make booth fee. Guess what I am saying is you may go back to the same place and have a great show.