Bowl - Walnut, Maple, & Cherry 13 1/2 inch diameter

susieq4131

OUCH Helen, its making my eyes water just thinking about it....Paul :)

Ouch!

Mine was a 12 inch disc sander - the piece of wood flipped out of my fingers and, before I knew it I'd sanded off all of the fingernail from my third finger, about 30% from my index finger and ploughed a trench down the side of the finger in between. :scared:

Its amazing how it doesn't really hurt until you see just how much damage you've done. Luckily my other half is a qualified and unflappable First Aider :roll:

Hmm. I'm sure you can understand why both Susie and I now wear gloves. Once sanded ...

Sorry Susie I'm getting away from the subject of your fantastic bowl. I've just seen the size of it in the title - it's ENORMOUS. Are all your bowls straight sided of do you curve the sides as well? I was thinking about having a go (at a little one :) ) but it would have to have straight sides - I don't think I could get my head round the angles of a curved one.

H.

Ouch!

Mine was a 12 inch disc sander - the piece of wood flipped out of my fingers and, before I knew it I'd sanded off all of the fingernail from my third finger, about 30% from my index finger and ploughed a trench down the side of the finger in between. :scared:

Its amazing how it doesn't really hurt until you see just how much damage you've done. Luckily my other half is a qualified and unflappable First Aider :roll:

Yikes! I can just imagine what kind of damage I could do with a 12 inch disc sander. :cry: One accident of that kind is one too many.

Silly me I just discovered the quote button! I spend little time posting. It cuts into my shop time. lol Wonder what other features I've overlooked? lol

SQ

Hmm. I'm sure you can understand why both Susie and I now wear gloves. Once sanded ...

Sorry Susie I'm getting away from the subject of your fantastic bowl. I've just seen the size of it in the title - it's ENORMOUS. Are all your bowls straight sided of do you curve the sides as well? I was thinking about having a go (at a little one :) ) but it would have to have straight sides - I don't think I could get my head round the angles of a curved one.

H.

Helen,

I actually make several different sizes of bowls ranging from 12 inch, 13 1/2 inch, and 15 inch diameters. Just recently added an 8 1/2 inch diameter. This way I can make matching sets in different sizes. I have even done an 18 inch diameter. lol But most people don't have a use for a bowl that big. lol

For each bowl, I use the same angle for all the rings. But from bowl to bowl this angle can vary. I sand the interiors and the exteriors with my tilting spindle sander which saves time. Different angles within the same bowl would require different sanding tools such as an inflatable ball sander. I'm not crazy about freehand sanding, so have steered clear of any design that requires it. lol

With your talents, these bowls with be a snap. :) Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

SQ

Thanks for the information. I've been invited to have a stall at a Dragon Boat Race this weekend so am busily trying to finish boxes/pens/scrollsaw work and leatherwork stuff etc for that, but I'm love to try something new so I'm gonna have to have a go. Will keep you posted.

H.

Helen,

Good luck with the Dragon Boat Race. I can't imagine anyone being able to resist your items! It's been great fun chatting with you. Yes, let's stay in touch!

SQ

• 3 weeks later...