Easter Scroll Saw Challenge

Travis

6 hours ago, Blaughn said:

That is nice work!!!  How big is the piece?

I have done several similar pieces and have found that Cherry and Walnut are too unforgiving on thin-bridge potential dropouts.  I now use 3/8" solid Jatoba (aka Brazilian Cherry).  It is extremely hard, and the interlocking grain is far more forgiving when scrolling small letters.

I have also found these projects are very stressful.  By the time you reach the last few words, the cost-of-failure is very high and an errant drop-out is never replaceable.   :cry:

Bruce

11 X 13 inches  Had one of the a's fall out in the 1/8 one but the 1/4 survived.  Barely noticeable thankfully.

Jeff

2 hours ago, GPscroller said:

11 X 13 inches  Had one of the a's fall out in the 1/8 one but the 1/4 survived.  Barely noticeable thankfully.

Jeff

I am very impressed.  I did this one and it took me 14 hours of actual cutting time.  IMG_0793.JPGYou don't work fast with Jatoba because it is so hard but your letters are even smaller than mine.  This is similar in size.

Keep up the good work!  I am sure your Dad loved it.

23 hours ago, Blaughn said:

I am very impressed.  I did this one and it took me 14 hours of actual cutting time.  IMG_0793.JPGYou don't work fast with Jatoba because it is so hard but your letters are even smaller than mine.  This is similar in size.

Love this piece, especially the font. 

Jeff

23 hours ago, Blaughn said:

That is beautiful! You cut like a machine. Mind if I ask what blades you used and how thick the wood is? I'm gaining so much knowledge here, "Standing on the shoulders of giants".

10 hours ago, Charlie E said:

That is beautiful! You cut like a machine. Mind if I ask what blades you used and how thick the wood is? I'm gaining so much knowledge here, "Standing on the shoulders of giants".

Thank you.  The wood is roughly 3/8" thick.  I used the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse #3 blades for the lettering.  I used a FDUR #5 for the outside edges of the plaque.  Jatoba wood dulls the blade very quickly and I would guess this took around 18 to 20 blades to finish this work.  The payback is that Jatoba wood is extremely strong and is more resistant to cracking along the grain line owing to the interlocking fibers in the grain.

Bruce

41 minutes ago, Blaughn said:

Thank you.  The wood is roughly 3/8" thick.  I used the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse #3 blades for the lettering.  I used a FDUR #5 for the outside edges of the plaque.  Jatoba wood dulls the blade very quickly and I would guess this took around 18 to 20 blades to finish this work.  The payback is that Jatoba wood is extremely strong and is more resistant to cracking along the grain line owing to the interlocking fibers in the grain.

Bruce

Thank you so much for the information. I'm relatively new to this but know enough to recognize precision. With the sharpness of those letters I assumed you weren't using spirals but with that many turns of the board I'm surprised it only took 14 hrs. Great piece of art.

17 minutes ago, Charlie E said:

Thank you so much for the information. I'm relatively new to this but know enough to recognize precision. With the sharpness of those letters I assumed you weren't using spirals but with that many turns of the board I'm surprised it only took 14 hrs. Great piece of art.

I have never used spirals.  It took a while to master the acute angle turns and I burned through a lot of practice patterns achieving it.  Once you have, it is worth it.  GPScroller's piece is even more challenging than this one.  His letters are even smaller and a greater number of them.  I look at his piece and shudder.  I guarantee the last line of his work was the hardest to cut.  I count 14 risky drop-outs that could have turned his piece into kindling.  Awesome.

This is just another silhouette that I cut for Easter to shine on our home.
A cross with Jesus' robe draped over it. Nothing spectacular as far as the
project but representing  a truly spectacular event.
Cut out of some material like corian at about 10" tall with a high intensity light behind it.

God Bless! SpirithorseCross-silhouette.gif.50e1054b9a67718c54e9d14f044b04c1.gif

Nice work so far every one.  I finally got a chance to participate in this challenge.  I have had a couple of "Easter" items laying on my desk to do for a couple of weeks at least.  The standing bunny inside of the egg is a free pattern from Steve Good's site.  You can find the thread on the blog here: http://scrollsawworkshop.blogspot.com/2014/04/part-three-of-toy-box-build.html or the direct link to the pattern here: http://www.stevedgood.com/easterbunnyegg.pdf - The Bunny candy dish is from Sheila Landry's Website here: http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/product/SLD272 The pattern costs $2.95. The site information says it is about a 5x5 finished piece but he's pretty small.  I am thinking about making him bigger maybe for a bigger dish.  The size "as is" would make a great little item to sit by plates at Easter dinner.  It will hold about a small handful of M&Ms or something small like that I think.  She shows it painted or left natural wood.

IMG_4042.JPG

1 hour ago, Travis said:

Here's my submission.  Some Easter Peeps and wooden carrots last weekend.  I made a fun little promo video for SSV's Facebook page showing the process.  Super easy project that can be knocked out in an hour.  You can find a free pattern here:  http://bit.ly/2pyXzIk

peep2.jpg

peep1.jpg

You must be a mind reader - the wife was just admiring your "peeps" and asked if we had that pattern LOL

Well, now we do, thanks for the pattern :)

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 2:24 PM, Travis said:

Here's my submission.  Some Easter Peeps and wooden carrots last weekend.  I made a fun little promo video for SSV's Facebook page showing the process.  Super easy project that can be knocked out in an hour.  You can find a free pattern here:  http://bit.ly/2pyXzIk

peep2.jpg

peep1.jpg

it turned out to be a really fun piece. Thank you for the video, it was not only interesting but it is always interesting to see how others perform their work

Dick

heppnerguy