I had to do it

munzieb

Last year I had a problem with the lower blade tensioner on my EX-16. ( I'm a top feeder) I guess I had been tightening it too much and the marriage of steel bolt and aluminum was not going well. The threads were not tightening anymore. Seyco had a lower mount replacement and ordered one. While I was waiting for shipment to arrive I decided to try something different. I swapped the hex screw and tightening bolt and it actually worked pretty well. I had to add some loc-tite to the stripped side and I was back to scrolling again. The new unit arrived and I stored it knowing I would eventually need it. I kept thinking about this aluminum steel marriage and knew it would happen again. I ordered a M6 x 1.0 helicoil repair kit from the internet. I kept it in standby for future repair.

Today my swapped arrangement failed and the bolt kept turning.... Time for replacement. The swap out went well and I was up and running again. It was time to try the helicoil. The kit came with the correct drill bit to bore out the old threads. I used my drill press and arbor and drilled all the way through, then I put the included tap in the drill chuck and hand turned the tap to make the new thread into the housing and used cutting oil (WD-40 would have worked). Every 1/2 turn I would rotate backwards to break the cut chips free. The kit comes with a helicoil insert tool and they threaded in very easy. The kit also has a install tang removal tool. Place the mount in the vice, inserted the tool, gave it a tap with a hammer and the tang was gone. (remove tang after installing each individual helicoil)

Now I'm ready for the next eventual thread failure with a modified helicoid unit. The kit came with 20 spare threads so I'm good to go. 

20180301_190034.jpg

20180301_190044.jpg

20180301_190132.jpg

7 minutes ago, munzieb said:

Last year I had a problem with the lower blade tensioner on my EX-16. ( I'm a top feeder) I guess I had been tightening it too much and the marriage of steel bolt and aluminum was not going well. The threads were not tightening anymore. Seyco had a lower mount replacement and ordered one. While I was waiting for shipment to arrive I decided to try something different. I swapped the hex screw and tightening bolt and it actually worked pretty well. I had to add some loc-tite to the stripped side and I was back to scrolling again. The new unit arrived and I stored it knowing I would eventually need it. I kept thinking about this aluminum steel marriage and knew it would happen again. I ordered a M6 x 1.0 helicoil repair kit from the internet. I kept it in standby for future repair.

Today my swapped arrangement failed and the bolt kept turning.... Time for replacement. The swap out went well and I was up and running again. It was time to try the helicoil. The kit came with the correct drill bit to bore out the old threads. I used my drill press and arbor and drilled all the way through, then I put the included tap in the drill chuck and hand turned the tap to make the new thread into the housing and used cutting oil (WD-40 would have worked). Every 1/2 turn I would rotate backwards to break the cut chips free. The kit comes with a helicoil insert tool and they threaded in very easy. The kit also has a install tang removal tool. Place the mount in the vice, inserted the tool, gave it a tap with a hammer and the tang was gone. (remove tang after installing each individual helicoil)

Now I'm ready for the next eventual thread failure with a modified helicoid unit. The kit came with 20 spare threads so I'm good to go. 

20180301_190034.jpg

20180301_190044.jpg

20180301_190132.jpg

After doing this, you'll probably never have to do it again. Did you use some thread locker on the helicoil? More than likely, it will never fail.

R