Plans for a bowl clamp tool

OCtoolguy

Hi all, I have been wanting to try my hand at making a bowl but I have no way to clamp the pieces together. I have seen bowl clamps on a couple of the youtube videos but I have not been able to find any plans for making one. I know it's a simple design but I was wondering if there are different designs. I'd like to make something that would be compatible with bowls from about 3.5" up to maybe 8". The ones I have seen were nothing but a couple of flat round boards with a series of bolts around the outer perimeter. Nothing fancy but I like to look at pics before performing my miracles. So, anybody got any pics or plans? Thanks in advance......

Ray

I don't have any plans or pictures.  All I use are a couple pieces of ply and several quick clamps.

However, Carole Rothman is the stacked ring bowl expert, IMHO.  I believe she explains her bowl clamp on her blog.  If you want to learn about stacked ring bowls on the scroll saw, Carole is the person to go to. 

http://scrollsawbowls.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, tgiro said:

Here is the little jig that I use to clamp the rings. The 10lb barbell weight, in the back, is to set the bottom disk. You can get the barbell weight, at Walmart, for around $15 bucks.

ring clamp.jpg

This one certainly makes the most sense. It has no size limits at all. Thanks.

R

1 hour ago, octoolguy said:

This one certainly makes the most sense. It has no size limits at all. Thanks.

R

The important step is to get the face of each ring perfectly flat. If you don't do that then you can get gaps between the rings which, show as thick lines.

I have a surface drum sander (home made version of a Sandflee) that I run the rings across to get them flat. If the faces of the rings are perfectly flat, then you don't need a lot of pressure, or glue, for the joint.

2 hours ago, tgiro said:

The important step is to get the face of each ring perfectly flat. If you don't do that then you can get gaps between the rings which, show as thick lines.

I have a surface drum sander (home made version of a Sandflee) that I run the rings across to get them flat. If the faces of the rings are perfectly flat, then you don't need a lot of pressure, or glue, for the joint.

You made your own drum sander? I'd love to see a pic of that.

3 hours ago, tgiro said:

If you're thinking it's like a Supermax - it's not, although I just recently got one of those. This one is like a Sandflee --

IMG_0024 (2).JPG

IMG_0025 (2).JPG

I like it. Now I 've got something else to build. Thanks for posting the pics. Do you have plans or can you put me on to where I might get them?

Rat

8 hours ago, octoolguy said:

I like it. Now I 've got something else to build. Thanks for posting the pics. Do you have plans or can you put me on to where I might get them?

Rat

I got the kit from a Canadian company called Stockroom Supply - http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders/24-x-4-v-drum-the-works-kit.html

I got it at a wood working show about 7 years ago and I know it wasn't as expensive as the website shows. I don't know where you are located, but you can check to see if any shows are coming to your area here - http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

I made the top plate for it out of some laminated 1/2" MDF and layered that with Formica. You have to get your own motor. They include a DVD with videos and instructions on how to build the box and mount the hardware. I think, if you search around their website, the videos are there, too.

3 hours ago, tgiro said:

I got the kit from a Canadian company called Stockroom Supply - http://stockroomsupply.ca/shop/drum-sanders/24-x-4-v-drum-the-works-kit.html

I got it at a wood working show about 7 years ago and I know it wasn't as expensive as the website shows. I don't know where you are located, but you can check to see if any shows are coming to your area here - http://www.thewoodworkingshows.com/

I made the top plate for it out of some laminated 1/2" MDF and layered that with Formica. You have to get your own motor. They include a DVD with videos and instructions on how to build the box and mount the hardware. I think, if you search around their website, the videos are there, too.

We never see the Woodworking shows here anymore. The venues became too expensive which drove up the ticket prices and people stopped paying to go buy something. Sad. I miss them. Thanks for your help. I'll find the plans somewhere. The platen is the one thing that will be tough to come by but not impossible. Maybe an old rolling pin would suffice. I don't need anything big.

Ray

31 minutes ago, Chiloquinruss said:
  Hide contents

Love my woodmaster drum.  Ordered as a kit.  HF motor.  Russ

drum.jpg

Harbor Freight? The whole kit or just the drum? Never mind. I re-read your post and see just the motor. Thanks. I don't have room for anything larger than a 12". I see you have all the room in the world. Lucky you.

Edited by octoolguy