Shop Lighting Upgrade

smitty0312

I upgraded my T8 fluorescent shop lights with new energy-efficient long lasting LED fixtures ...... these are supposed to last 50,000 hours, if I average six hours a day seven days a week in the shop, these will last me right at almost 23 years ...... I will be 76 years old that time ......so they should be the last lights I buy.....

7915F345-7968-4EAA-9047-F9055D70574B.jpeg

Edited by smitty0312

1 hour ago, smitty0312 said:

I upgraded my T8 fluorescent shop lights with new energy-efficient long lasting LED fixtures ...... these are supposed to last 50,000 hours, if I average six hours a day seven days a week in the shop, these will last me right at almost 23 years ...... I will be 76 years old that time ......so they should be the last lights I buy.....

Take the time to slap a coat of white paint on the walls and ceiling. You'll be amazed at how much more light you will have.

Ray

Dan, I'm thinking that if they last that long, which you indicate will take you to 76 - then you need to figure that they will NOT be the last lights you buy for your shop.  My FIL, who is presently 90, and still hiking in the Smokies would tell you that 76 is Young ;) so you might want to plan a second set for another 23 years that would take you to 99. ;)

3 hours ago, meflick said:

Dan, I'm thinking that if they last that long, which you indicate will take you to 76 - then you need to figure that they will NOT be the last lights you buy for your shop.  My FIL, who is presently 90, and still hiking in the Smokies would tell you that 76 is Young ;) so you might want to plan a second set for another 23 years that would take you to 99. ;)

Yeah, I'll be 75 next month so I might get my money's worth out some if I buy them now. But, they will be pricey as I have 7 double light fixtures in my little shop. Oh well, I guess I can't take it with me.

Ray

When I built my shop in 2012.. I bought the T8 fixtures.. but then put in LED bulbs these here.. https://www.menards.com/main/electrical/light-bulbs/led-light-bulbs/sylvania-reg-48-17w-equivalent-linear-daylight-t8-led-bulb-replacement/75062-75042/p-1456889156784-c-7482.htm?tid=7405467454301585160&ipos=2

In 2015 my friend bought from LED light fixtures.. sealed unit I think as he couldn't change the bulb... his stopped working already and he works a full time with overtime job so those lights didn't get much hours before they stopped working.. they had a 5 year warranty.. he took them back and Menards replaced them no questions.. 

I personally like the option of replaceable bulbs especially when you have different color temp options etc.. I'll never buy a sealed unit unless there is not any other option, LOL   

Edited by kmmcrafts

10 hours ago, smitty0312 said:

Lucky you .I have 25' of lights and electric but can't use one foot of it .I'm swamped in wood and personel stuff help help for 2 years now

'

I agree with all the above.  I know many 80 plus woodworkers. Ray's  post is important.  My shop has OSB on the walls and ceiling.  Painting it white makes a major difference.  I applied Kilz and then  2 coats of flat white.  I used cheapo builder's paint.  Think it was like $35 for a 5 gallon bucket.

11 hours ago, Bpardue said:

i agree with painting the ceiling white. I did that and painted a lot of the cabinets white - it helped a ton with lighting but i had one dark spot and added a new LED 4ft strip light in that area. now you can read a newspaper on the floor of the shop

That must be kinda uncomfortable