Gave away a saw . . . . bought another one

hotshot

So, had a friend said he might be able to use the 14" Hegner, and I was excited to get rid of it, so I shipped it out a few days ago.

So with one saw removed from the stable . . . . .I've been looking for a good portable saw to use at the store, sales booth, or whatever.  At the end of the day, for what I do, I don't really have a lot of choices as I don't believe anything besides a parallel link saw is going to work for my style/type of cutting.  That brings the field down really really quickly.

I was curious if the 16 inch King/Excalibur would have vibration low enough to be useable without the stand, so I drove down to Woodcraft to see if they would plug it in so I could see for myself. Well . . . . . . I now have a King 16". It is still heavier/more awkward than I would like, but I believe it is my smallest viable option and it runs reasonably smooth without the stand.   I'm playing with it a bit, but it should be ready for primetime when I have to work the store this weekend.

Edited by hotshot

4 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

Nice!! Think it should work out great.. I believe they come with a rubber feet option? My EX-21 did anyway.... but I didn't use them since I mounted it to the stand.. 

Yeah, and right now they offer the stand for free, so I have that shoved under the bed, and have the feet installed.

8 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

You and me both - I check every day for a dewalt to come on the market - nothing

Your profile shows NW FL.. there was one not too long ago but was south FL.. Ex-21 for $350 with stand and foot switch.. Probably a long drive for you though.. 

22 minutes ago, octoolguy said:

I see Dewalt's here all the time. In fact there are 3 right now and they are all under $300 with light and stand. Hold out for a type 1 if you can.

Ray

I already have a Type 1 788, and have been doing all my coin cutting with it recently.   It is a great saw, but portable it is not.

Nickel test, well it did pretty good, at least with the coin placed mid cutting zone.  When you see a nickel test, remember, the further forward you go, the more vibration.  Although the saw was very surprisingly smooth, even at full out, it wouldn't have passed if the coin would have been on the front of the table. 

Still, with no stand, pretty freaking impressive if you ask me!

2 hours ago, hotshot said:

Nickel test, well it did pretty good, at least with the coin placed mid cutting zone.  When you see a nickel test, remember, the further forward you go, the more vibration.  Although the saw was very surprisingly smooth, even at full out, it wouldn't have passed if the coin would have been on the front of the table. 

Still, with no stand, pretty freaking impressive if you ask me!

Very  curious about this new King saw.  I hope you report on it every few months and let the rest of get an update on what you think of it, as time goes by. I trust you to let it out as it is and not cover up for any faults you may find. I think a lot of people might have an eye on this one to see if it is the same as the EX and how well it holds up

Dick

heppnerguy

8 hours ago, rjweb said:

Congrats on the new saw, do they have a warranty and where would you get it fixed, if you ran into a problem,

Rj

Like Seyco and Hawk and Hegner, you would have to either ship it to a King Service Center, or your could work with them remote.  It is parts compatible with Excalibur, so if I was just needing parts, I could get those though either side.  There is a two year warranty from date of purchase for non-commercial use.

As far as being the same as the EX, oh yeah, it is the same all right.  The company never quit making them.

The real question is, "Is the current Ex" still the same old EX.  I think the current "Excaliburs" are being manufacturing in China, meaning they had to bring up a new production line there, and we know how that goes.

In WoodCraft, back in their storage room, I saw an original EX-21 still in the box.

Edited by hotshot

53 minutes ago, hotshot said:

Like Seyco and Hawk and Hegner, you would have to either ship it to a King Service Center, or your could work with them remote.  It is parts compatible with Excalibur, so if I was just needing parts, I could get those though either side.  There is a two year warranty from date of purchase for non-commercial use.

As far as being the same as the EX, oh yeah, it is the same all right.  The company never quit making them.

The real question is, "Is the current Ex" still the same old EX.  I think the current "Excaliburs" are being manufacturing in China, meaning they had to bring up a new production line there, and we know how that goes.

In WoodCraft, back in their storage room, I saw an original EX-21 still in the box.

I've not heard of this mfg - is King a good product?

I see they are sold by woodcraft (we don't have those here) around the same price (little higher) as the dewalt.

7 minutes ago, new2woodwrk said:

I've not heard of this mfg - is King a good product?

I see they are sold by woodcraft (we don't have those here) around the same price (little higher) as the dewalt.

With Stand was $600 before tax.  I didn't need the stand, but they include that free for now.

Edited by hotshot