Woods

Rockytime

Stopped in Lowes today picking up a board. While perusing I saw Honduras, Alder, Red Oak and Poplar. I've cut poplar but not the others. Which are good for scrolling? I also saw Maple and Oak 1/4" plywood. The stuff looked very nice. If I remember correctly the Maple was $59 for a 4X8 sheet. Pricey for sure.

In my opinion none of the above in plywood form. The plywood is going to have an inner core that is junk and the outer core may have footballs for patches and if not very thin layer. If working with any type hard woods for scrolling I prefer hard wood boards. More expensive but truer woods to work with. Again my opinion. I have scrolled oak plywood but have gotten splintering from it when small detail was cut. Never do that again. I doubt serious that was honduras mahogany because it has become almost untouchable. 

I may have misread your posting. If the woods you stated at the beginning are true hardwoods then by all means everyone is good scrolling wood. I still question the Honduran mahogany because the cost is outrageous and lowes is not going to supply that when my hardwood lumber company does not even bring it in because of cost. I use mainly red oak but also all the others mentioned and plenty more. 

Edited by JTTHECLOCKMAN

11 minutes ago, tonylumps said:

I just got my order from Ocooch Hardwoods.Along with the order came a 20# box of assorted hardwoods The box was 20.00 + shipping.I thought there were some really nice pieces of scroll wood .If you want a try different hardwoods Ithink this is a good way to start

I bought a 20# box too of domestics. Great bargain. Nice stuff.

Ray

All of the hardwoods you mentioned are good for scrolling. Each have there own characteristics that may or may not bother you. I absolutely love Mahogany. It is my favorite hard wood to work with. It cuts and finishes beautifully. Alder is a nice wood to work with. It is a little softer, so it may be a little fragile for very fine fret work, but I use it a lot. I also use a lot of red oak. It finish nicely, but is harder than the other woods, and can burn if you are nor carful. I am no a big fan of Poplar as it does not finish well for me. I do not use stains or paint (except for backer boards). To bring out the natural color and grain of hardwoods, I use a 50/50 mix of boiled linseed oil and mineral spirits. So I only use hardwoods.

dont be afraid to experiment with hardwoods. You do have to be a little bit moe careful with hardwoods than plywood as small cuts can break easier, but it is well worth using!

I cut quite a lot of cherry, oak, and walnut plywood as well as the BB plywood.. Non of those plywoods will ever come close to the quality of BB ply....  There is a lot to be said about a plain old solid hardwood.. it is more $$ for GOOD solid hardwood..  My issue with the solid wood is.. if not used immediately or sealed up good it cups.. many times it cups on me before I even get it home.. which is why I went to ply in the first place.. I haven't had too many problems in cutting the hardwood ply.. just make sure to buy a high end with a good wood core.. not the hardboard core junk whatever it's called.. I buy the $$ stuff good on two sides because I make my Christmas ornaments out of it.. but I plan to faze the hardwood ornaments out and just use bb ply.. and maybe will use a solid wood choice for my customers.. at a higher price option if they choose solid wood ornaments..  

All ply wood I use is thin stuff.. 1/4" max.. Anything more that 1/4 I use solid wood.. One thing with plywood.. is it's ruff on blades.. Probably use two-three blades on ply where I'd only need one blade on solid wood 

Thank you for the replies. Gives me an idea on what I am buying. I need to check out the hardwood ply woods. Need to see if they are hardwood on one side or two and how many plies they are. I don't scroll for sales. Most anything I cut will end up in the land fill. I simply scroll for my own amusement. About wood cupping, there is not much of a chance in Colorado. Denver is quite dry. Not like some western states but we have no rust problems either.