Pegas Blades (related to the Puzzle Zombie Squad)

Iguanadon

As many have stated and heard, Pegas blades are amazing and I finally got around to really trying them.  Up until now I've been using Olson Mach Speed #3 for cutting my puzzles from 3/4" poplar. 

The #3 Pegas Modified Geometry was noticeably thinner and that's why I held off on trying them.  I was worried about blade "flex" which happens when using thin blades in thick/hard wood causing the puzzle pieces to not slide in and out from both directions.

Last week I tried the #5 Pegas MG blade and it cut very smooth and I liked it, but the puzzle pieces were slightly looser than I like so I went back to the Olson Mach Speed #3.

Today however I felt adventurous and gave the Pegas MG #3 a shot and am happy to report that I had no issues and the Pegas blades slice through poplar like butter.  I'm beginning to think the Pegas blades may in fact save wear and tear on my saw in that they cut so smooth and so aggressively I'm not putting any added pressure on the piece as I'm feeding it.  Who knows, I may get more than 1 year from a DeWalt now.  ;-)

For any of my puzzle zombie followers out there, give the Pegas blades a shot, #3 and #5 to see which one you prefer.

Oh, and the Pegas blades cut amazingly "straight"... I'm having to relearn how to cut I'm so used to cutting at an "angle" for a straight line.

Break time over, back to cutting.

Iggy

Scott, I have used nothing but Flying Dutchman FDUR blades for most of time i have been in this hobby and still use them .....but on a whim, after reading what several of the Village people have said about them, I got a gross of the mg#3 and #5........I must say i find myself reaching for them a lot !.....I may have a new go to blade soon...works for me !

I also use pegas #3 MG blade for the puzzles I have made ( not many yet ).. I've made mine from hardwood such as oak.. and today what little time I've had at the saw I started cutting a VW Beetle puzzle out of Hard Maple.. Yeah I know what you're thinking.. that it's insane to cut a 3/4" hard maple puzzle.. my answer to that is. it's not 3/4".. that would be too easy.. I like a challenge when things are slower on the orders and I have a little play time.. So I decided to cut this at 7/8"..  Now for the truth.. it's an experiment.. so i am not some sort of crazy mad scroll sawing man, Hahaha :lol: Never know I may not even cut the est of it.. that said it's cutting amazingly easy with that #3 pegas.. I'm always amazed every time I cut with them blades.. 

Might be a while before I get this done now though.. I have a custom order today so now the Beetle is on the back burner :)    

Iggy,  I find that a lot of times.. that #3 actually cuts better then the #5.. in some cases.. it's actually cutting better than the #5 did in cutting the outline of the Beetle in this Hard Maple.. Bigger isn't always better with these blades..:lol:

3 minutes ago, kmmcrafts said:

I also use pegas #3 MG blade for the puzzles I have made ( not many yet ).. I've made mine from hardwood such as oak.. and today what little time I've had at the saw I started cutting a VW Beetle puzzle out of Hard Maple.. Yeah I know what you're thinking.. that it's insane to cut a 3/4" hard maple puzzle.. my answer to that is. it's not 3/4".. that would be too easy.. I like a challenge when things are slower on the orders and I have a little play time.. So I decided to cut this at 7/8"..  Now for the truth.. it's an experiment.. so i am not some sort of crazy mad scroll sawing man, Hahaha :lol: Never know I may not even cut the est of it.. that said it's cutting amazingly easy with that #3 pegas.. I'm always amazed every time I cut with them blades.. 

Might be a while before I get this done now though.. I have a custom order today so now the Beetle is on the back burner :)    

Iggy,  I find that a lot of times.. that #3 actually cuts better then the #5.. in some cases.. it's actually cutting better than the #5 did in cutting the outline of the Beetle in this Hard Maple.. Bigger isn't always better with these blades..:lol:

Yes, you're definitely insane.  I cut the VW Beetle about a year ago and swore I'd never do another of the vehicles... way too detailed and the letters were small (yes, I can enlarge the pattern, I know)... and mine was in my usual 3/4" poplar... not 7/8" maple!!!  I look forward to hearing how the experiment goes if/when you get back to finishing it.

1 hour ago, orangeman said:

What took so long to try Pegas:cry: blades?

Many on the board have hyped the blade for some time.

It is my go to blade for 3/4" hardwoods.

bb

I'm not a groupie or a follower.  Or maybe it's just cuz I'm a bit slow.  :-)  When I find something I like I stick with it... Olson Mach Speed were my go-to blade... now I have 2 gross of them to find something to do with.  LOL

I agree about the Pegas - It really helped me get movement on cutting - when I used the Olsens, they were fine, but I was having such a hard time staying close to the line.  The FD were a bit better for me, but still straight lines were a real issue.

Then someone here mentioned the Pegas - I bought a sampler package at first and OMG what a difference! So much so I bought a gross of the #3 and #5 reverse skips - incredible blades.

I've got a few projects coming up that I believe need to have a different blade so I'll be reaching into my sample pack LOL

14 hours ago, Iguanadon said:

I'm not a groupie or a follower.  Or maybe it's just cuz I'm a bit slow.  :-)  When I find something I like I stick with it... Olson Mach Speed were my go-to blade... now I have 2 gross of them to find something to do with.  LOL

I'm in the same situation. I have a couple gross of Flying Dutchman blades which are inferior to the Pegas blades for my purposes.

bb

I was cutting 1/2 inch plywood with the FD-UR 5 and thought I would give the Pegas another try.  Didn't like the aggressiveness on cutting tight corners but I put it down to what you are most comfortable with.

So last night, I was cutting some silhouettes and thought I would switch to the Pegas to see.  Cut fine but I did find the edges were not as smooth as with the Ultra Reverse.

I don't even have to sand the FD as the cut is as smooth as glass but the Pegas are a little fuzzy and had to run by the mop stander.  Not a big deal but it was less work with the FD-UR.

I tried to take a picture to show the difference  but my camera skills don't show it.  Will try again.

10 minutes ago, don in brooklin on said:

I was cutting 1/2 inch plywood with the FD-UR 5 and thought I would give the Pegas another try.  Didn't like the aggressiveness on cutting tight corners but I put it down to what you are most comfortable with.

So last night, I was cutting some silhouettes and thought I would switch to the Pegas to see.  Cut fine but I did find the edges were not as smooth as with the Ultra Reverse.

I don't even have to sand the FD as the cut is as smooth as glass but the Pegas are a little fuzzy and had to run by the mop stander.  Not a big deal but it was less work with the FD-UR.

I tried to take a picture to show the difference  but my camera skills don't show it.  Will try again.

Just curious.. what saw do you use.. I ask because Pegas in my DeWalt almost always leaves me with a slightly rougher edges.. but not in any of my other saws.. My DeWalt is getting noisy and has a little slop and I believe this is the cause of the rougher edges.. I've never used a blade that gave rough edges other than a old Delta saw that had quite a lot of side to side play in the bushings.. That saw would leave a rough edge.. and never could use a spiral blade in that one :lol:..