Hegner 22 vs Dewalt vs, um, Hikon

john west

Ok, so don't laugh, but until this weekend I didn't even know the difference between a band and a scroll saw.  So what happened was I decided to cut my own corbels for my newly arriving daughter's shelves in her room.  I went to Rockler, and they had a $120 Hikon scroll saw and a $400 dewalt scroll saw.  I got the $120 Hikon.  Now, I did cut my corbels, but without having ever used any saw prior to the Hikon, I could tell there had to be better.  The wood jumped all over the place and it was just a generally poor experience.

So now I'm thinking of getting a new dewalt, or, getting a used Hegner for a little more.  I am the type who believes in spending more for quality ("yeah, right, so why'd you buy the Hikon in the first place"... "Because I'm an idiot, of course").  So my question to all of you is, new dewalt or used 22 hegner?  Be gentle, please... :)

4 hours ago, john west said:

Ok, so don't laugh, but until this weekend I didn't even know the difference between a band and a scroll saw.  So what happened was I decided to cut my own corbels for my newly arriving daughter's shelves in her room.  I went to Rockler, and they had a $120 Hikon scroll saw and a $400 dewalt scroll saw.  I got the $120 Hikon.  Now, I did cut my corbels, but without having ever used any saw prior to the Hikon, I could tell there had to be better.  The wood jumped all over the place and it was just a generally poor experience.

So now I'm thinking of getting a new dewalt, or, getting a used Hegner for a little more.  I am the type who believes in spending more for quality ("yeah, right, so why'd you buy the Hikon in the first place"... "Because I'm an idiot, of course").  So my question to all of you is, new dewalt or used 22 hegner?  Be gentle, please... :)

I have one of each. They  are completely different in the way they operate. I think I would start with the Dewalt. It should serve you well. For doing what I think you are doing, I would have bought a band saw. Unless the corbels are very small. Just my opinion here.

Ray

I started with a Dewalt about two and a half years ago............became addicted...........scrolled about six hours a day. With that amount of scrolling a Dewalt will last about nine months. A great saw if you are not going to do production with it. After going through tw Dewalts I broke down and bought a Hegner. Great saw................The blade that came with the scroll saw you bought was probably not made for what you were cutting. 

How thick were the corbels you were cutting?

Well, at first i tried to stack the two 3/4" pieces of wood screwed together, but that didn't work.  So I then just cut each 3/4" piece individually.  There was a ton of chatter with the wood bouncing on the plate.

I believe the dewalt will definitely do what I want, but I'm tempted by the hegner since I can get it used for the same price as the dewalt.  But if the hegner requires a more experienced user than the dewalt (kind of like buying a ferrari - much sweeter car, but you can't just drive it off the lot without some training), i'd go with the dewalt.  For a newbie like me, will I be able to work the hegner - is it as user friendly?

13 hours ago, john west said:

Ok, so don't laugh,  The wood jumped all over the place and it was just a generally poor experience.

Be gentle, please... :)

...just a little grin....newbie here, too.

I'm not cheap:eye:....just less expensive.  :cool:

I got a Wen3940.   Same experience as you.

Thought it was very poor quality.  Returned it.

Delta 40-694 arriving Thurs.

It's all good.  Just part of the learning process.

I'll see you on the road.  ;)

Yes it needs a dust blowing system and yes you still can get the bellows. If it runs $400 is my price tag on it. They are built for the long haul. need the key for the blade clamps and hopefully there are extra blade clamps. One thing never set your saw up like in that photos. That saw and any scroll saw needs to be on solid base. Should be sitting on the concrete floor. You add vibration when you do things like that. 

5 hours ago, john west said:

So here are the pics of the hegner... what do you guys think one like this should sell for?

fullsizeoutput_2d20.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2d1f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2d1e.jpeg

I recently bought one very similar to that one. Mine is a 1998 if I recall. Anyway, it is in very good condition with all the same upgrades as that one. I gave $300 for mine and it came with the factory magnifier light and foot switch. That one looks pretty good. How much?

Ray

Edited by octoolguy